Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Can a damaged oil cooler on a206 cause oil in header tank?

can a damaged oil cooler on a206 cause oil in header tank?
Assistant: When was your last oil change?
Customer: I brought the car in Jan '17 so haven't changed oil
Assistant: What is the model of your '17 Peugeot?
Customer: 206 1.4 xl auto
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no car stopped working suddenly, no overheating or warning lights - brakedown service suggested HG or oil cooler - also said sounds like no compression
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I noticed oil in water last week but car still ran as normal until yesterday when it stopped
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi..there..

An oil cooler can indeed send engine oil into the coolant system/expansion tank..the oil cooler is part of the oil filter housing on the 206 the oil filter screws to the oil cooler itself. and is cooled by engine coolant flowing through the cooler.you'll note the 2 coolant hoses leading to it..if the cooler fails internally..then it will send oil into the coolant system...however if the coolant system is contaminated with oil/coolant mix it can cause overheating issues due to the water pump having to work extra hard to shift that substance around the system..if there is indeed no compression in which you need to have that confirmed..then i say its likely the headgasket thats gone and this too can send or cause both oil and coolant to mix..and you'll note that in the engine oil too..depending on how the gasket has gone..Hope this helps