350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for last 22 years
12772297

I have a 2011 peugeot 5008 which basically just lost power

Customer Question

i have a 2011 peugeot 5008 which basically just lost power on the road 2 weeks ago until it came to a stand still, the garage(main peugeot dealer) initially said it was electrical fault as every light lit up and now after 2.5 weeks with it in the garage, they told me, the battery was replaced first, then the fuel injectors needed to be cleaned and now they tell me, even with new fuel injectors, the engine starts but won't stay going so I need a new engine!!!
Help......???
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  350matt replied 3 months ago.

before just replacing the engine I'd get a compression test done as this will show if the engine is in good health or not- all the cylinders need to be within 10-15 psi of each other

do you have any fault codes that have been pulled off the ECU, if so can you tell me what they are?

also what engine is this? Is it the 1.6 HDi?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is 1.6 Diesel engine. Can I ask is this question n response also included in the fee of 31euro that I paid? I am under pressure with the ever increasing cost of my car and don't need more costs. Initially, the head mechanic said everything was lighting up as a fault on the Ecu and now he said it's nothing to do with the electrics because it is a mechanical fault so the ecu tells them nothing about mechanical faults to the engine, it has 140,000km done but was perfect and passed NCT in April.
Expert:  350matt replied 3 months ago.

you pay the fee once and can then ask as many questions on this post as you like

providing you don't open another post / question then you won't pay any more.

OK so if its mechanical then yes a compression test is a good next step and also can also show if the cam timing has slipped

I also have to say it may be worth finding another garage if you can, as you seem to be getting conflicting reports and they seem a bit keen to offer big cost solutions

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your help, it was really useful to me
Expert:  350matt replied 3 months ago.

no problem

do you need anything further?