350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for last 22 years
12772297

Just purchased a 2007 hdi partner today for £2500 with 61k

Just purchased a 2007 hdi partner today for £2500 with 61k on the clock from a local 2nd hand van dealership.
When I test drove and when I collected it the engine was already running and warmed up to approx 80C.The engine performed really well on both occasions.
I now find that starting it from cold there is NO glow plug light but it does start.When started it
Ticks over very erratically and misfires as it is slowly revved to 2000rpm.
When the temp reaches 75C all runs well.
1• I feel the Dealer may be trying to pull the wool over my eyes.
2• Are these symptoms indicative of further problems and cost.
3• Would you advise taking it back under my statutory rights?Regards
Freddy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  350matt replied 1 month ago.

hello

I'd certainly go back to the dealer and say the van is not fully fit

chances are it needs a fuel filter as this will effect cold running as you describe

your letter or notice needs to read something like this

Re: Purchase of Van registration????

After purchasing the van from yourselves on the.... I have since found that the Van struggles to start form cold and performance is lacking until the engine reaches full temperature
As a 1 month warranty was offered from the date of purchase I feel this fault falls within that time period and is also covered as part of the warranty.
So I am requesting a full refund of the purchase price of £.. on the grounds that the goods were not of satisfactory quality under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
As an alternative to this I would offer that part refund is made to cover the costs of repair work or your garage undertakes the necessary repairs
I would like a reply as soon as possible so that I know you have received this letter. If you don't agree to the refund, could you please then send me a detailed response explaining why.
To avoid taking court action, I am willing to use Alternative Dispute Resolution to resolve this problem.

Expert:  350matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you