350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for last 22 years
12772297

Peugeot 407 hard to get into 1st and reverse gear cold and

Customer Question

peugeot 407 hard to get into 1st and reverse gear cold and hot, when in those gears the car wants to move and judders
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Peugeot
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2nd through to 6th are all fine
Expert:  350matt replied 1 month ago.

I'd say this sounds like the clutch is dragging?

the first thing to do is bleed the clutch hydraulics and ensure that you replenish the all fluid in the system and get any trapped air out

I favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times, then holds it down whilst you then crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.

If this doesn't help then next check the gear linkage for any worn bushes or pivots as any lost motion means reduced effort at the gearbox and replace as necessary. Ideally have your assistant move the gear lever with you watching the linkage and see if you can spot where there is any excessive play or lost motion.
If its a cable type linkage check along the cable lengths for any damage or signs of heavy wear / fretting, if you find any replace the cable. There may be some adjustment on the cable tension at the gearbox end (depending on the year) and the cable should be tensioned so there is a minimum of slack but not so its taught

Then check gearbox oil levels and if its not been changed in the last 20K miles then drain it off and fill with fresh. I can strongly recommend the use of Castrol Syntrans 75W90 (was called SMX-S) as I've known it help with shift issues on many manual gearboxes
If your gearbox is meant to use GL4 oil (the Snyntrans is GL5) then use Redline MT90 instead

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK Thanks - Do you any images I can use for reference
Expert:  350matt replied 1 month ago.

hello

service image attached