Robert
Robert, Peugeot Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

The particle emission filter is coming on, I drive

Customer Question

Hi the particle emission filter is coming on, I drive frequently on motorways which used to get rid of the sign, but now it stays on all the time!
Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: Mileage about 88k
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Peugeot?
Customer: 2005 Pegeout 407
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't fixed myself, I'm useless with that sort of thing, would not even know what the filter looks like. Could a car wash clean it?
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it thanks £13??
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  Robert replied 19 days ago.

Hi.there..

The only direction you have really is to get the car scanned for codes aswell as the percentage counter checked as far as the saturations levels are in the DPF which is your particulate filter which is part of the exahsut system as it collects soot and thus when you drive for long periods of time on the motorway as you have done..the car determines via the DPF pressure sensor when to regenerate the filter/ burns the soot off,essenetailly thats how it works..it may well be a faulty DPF pressure sensor and it may also need a forced regeneration and again this requires a diagnostic computer..these also use a eloys fluid additive so it could be that has run out and needs refilled as the fluid helps regen the filter...Maybe try using a premium diesel in the tank instead and give the car a good hard run for 20-30mins and see if that helps..if not then you need to have the car diagnosed on a scanner to see why it wont regenerate/reset..hope this helps

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Okay I will try that, the car is running absolutely fine so I hope it is a sensor rather than the emissions. My concern is by delaying a diagnostic check the filter could become saturated beyond repair. I will try the premium diesel idea first though.
Mike
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
It's difficult to rate the answer at present as I'm unsure of effectiveness, will rate later. Thanks
Mike
Expert:  Robert replied 18 days ago.

Peugeots/Citreons PSA cars are quite sensitive to problems like this so it could be a longer harder run might likely help that problem..it not uncommon to see DPF issues on these cars,Wrong oil grade can cause this too.by not using a low ash content oil..at around 88k miles on an HDI is becoming pretty rare to see these days..so like i say give it a good hard run on higher premium diesel..if the light fails to go out after that then you'll know what route you have to take...as for rating my responce effectiveness..well i can only give you the adivce based on the factor of dealing with problems like this before in my own garage. that advice above is in my opinion suited to your question and to progress further forward to reach a solution..