350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for last 22 years
12772297

The catalytic converter light has come on with loss of power

The catalytic converter light has come on with loss of power and juddering. I got home ( drove about 2km) and the car is in the garage. Is it safe to drive the car to the Peugot service dealer ( about 7km) Itsis a Peugot RCZ 2011
Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: A red exclamation mark with a symbol that looks like an engine - I looked at the car manual and it said it was a catalytic converter failure
Assistant: What is the model of your '11 Peugeot?
Customer: Peugot RCZ 2011 manual the higher HP model .... 200?
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Shit no!!! I am a 59 year old widow lol....
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to know if I can drive the car to the garage to get fixed (7km)
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  350matt replied 30 days ago.

hello

that light is the 'check engine' light and the fault can be any number of any things

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

I'd say to check the engine fluid levels; oil , coolant, brake fluid if they are all OK then you should be OK to drive slowly to the garage

keep the revs low and the load off the engine as much as possible

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Thank you. I will drive slowly to the Peugot dealer on Monday morning. I will need to get there to get to a diagnostic machine. I wouldn't have a clue how to unplug sensors... As I was driving the car home after the alert came on I noticed if I went slowly the alert would not show but when I went up a small hill to my home the alert came on as soon as I tried to power the engine....this sounds like the "limp mode" you mention. Really appreciate your help