350matt
350matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng Hons, worked in the car industry for last 22 years
12772297

Peugeot 308 Active e HDi 1600 cc 112bhp Automatic 2013. When

Customer Question

Peugeot 308 Active e HDi 1600 cc 112bhp Automatic 2013. When in auto mode and accelerating through the gears it hesitates and appears to slow down before changing up a gear.
Category: Peugeot
Expert:  350matt replied 28 days ago.

I'd 1st take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thanks for your reply the car is under warranty so I’ll get it checked out and suggest what you said. Just one thing though you mentioned about putting in in park, there is no park on it just N and A & R it also has a manual facility with gears and paddles. I’ve never had an automatic without park before.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
There is no facility to top up the gearbox fluid as I have now found out it’s sealed for life! So obviously I’m not too happy with your answer to check it.
Expert:  350matt replied 17 days ago.

the oil 'sealed for life' statement is true providing that you want the 'life' to be 80K miles.....

there is a drain plug so the official way to check is drain oil via the drain plug and refill with 2Ltrs of new oil.

Filling is via the breather on top of gearbox

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thanks for that I’ll get it checked. However, the car has only done 18,000 miles so it seems unlikely to be anything to do with that would you say? Maybe it’s electrical I don’t know. It just feels a bit weird when it’s changing up through the gears in auto mode it just momentarily slows down before the next gear engages. If you use the paddles it doesn’t happen. I spoke with a local Peugeot sales guy on the phone about it and he said it was a characteristic of the car? He said he had had the same experience on a demo he once had. I’m still not convinced it should be doing it though.
Expert:  350matt replied 17 days ago.

I'd agree that 18K miles is a bit low to need fresh fluid if all was well

unless the transmission has been running hot or slipping the clutches then it should be ok

however your description of the issue makes it sound like it does have an issue and DCT (dual clutch) transmissions are very sensitive to oil quality

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks again Matt, I don’t suppose It’ll do any harm to get the oil changed as a starter for what it is, as long as I make sure the replacement is the absolute correct oil for the car. I’ll see to it. What are your thoughts on it being a characteristic of the car? Have you ever come across it? Thanks again Matt I appreciate your help.
Expert:  350matt replied 17 days ago.

its a characteristic that can effect the early cars but this was corrected with code updates pretty early on and not something you tend to see on more modern ( last 5 years) cars

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Much appreciated Matt and thank you very much for all your support on this. It’s an interesting one and I’ll be sure to let you know the eventual outcome. I won’t hesitate to use you again personally. I think you know your stuff.
Expert:  350matt replied 17 days ago.

no problem

don't forget to ask about the latest transmission code update