Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Phone will not ring as the bell deleted sign is there & cannot

Customer Question

Phone will not ring as the bell deleted sign is there & cannot find how to alter it.
KX-TG6511e
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hello & Welcome,

Sorry to hear if the issue you are having with your phone system.

May I ask the TOTAL number of handsets you have for this system? If more than one, do you have these same symptoms on ALL of the handsets?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

only 1

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.

May I ask if you can see the handset LIGHT UP when a call comes in?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it does

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
HI again and thanks for that information.

OK - that means that the calls are being received but the "ringer volume" is set to OFF.

To change the ringer volume setting, please do the following:

What NOT on a call, press MENU # XXXXX 6 0. That should take you directly to the Ringer Volume setting.
Next, press the 6 key, which should set the ringer volume to its highest value.
Then press SAVE, then press OFF.

Please give that a try and let me know if the "disabled bell" icon goes away from the display and if the handset now rings with an incoming call.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No we tried that already, disabled bell is still there

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

Let me send you a link to an interactive tutorial that shows a slightly different method of changing the ringer volume. Once on that page, please look for the START button at the lower-right of the screen and click it to start the tutorial. Then follow the instructions to click the RED areas on the handset shown to simulate the change.

Click here --> Tutorial

Note: The slightly different part of the simulation is using the UP and DOWN arrows to change the volume level. You should also HEAR the level change (in the tutorial) IF you have the sound turned UP on you computer.

Once you see the tutorial, try the same exact steps on the REAL handset, and let me know EXACTLY what you see and hear.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. this what we have been doing. Deleted bell still there

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - are you HEARING the ringer volume CHANGE when you attempt to change it?

One other TEST - can you press the LOCATOR button on the main base unit and hear the handset ring at that time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No to both questions

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.

That is not good, as you should be able to hear some beeping when the locator button is used.

OK - may I ask the AGE of this system and WHEN this issue first began?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bought June 2010

Problem started Friday, i.e.2 days ago

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - 3 years old may be the issue, especially if you have not replaced the batteries yet.

Have you EVER purchased new batteies for this handset, installed them, and allowed them to charge?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, would non rechargeable ones work for a short time?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

Actually NO, these systems are designed for rechargeable NI-MH batteries, and even have a part of the system that would detect "regular" batteries and warn you not to use them.

Let me have you try a quick RESET of the handset, and at the same time you can check the condition of the batteries AND the contacts of the handset battery section.

To RESET the handset, simply remove the batteries and leave them removed for about 15 minutes. During that time, you can check (and clean) the contacts inside the handsets - with a bit of alcohol and clean cloth if you have it. If you find ANY evidence of corrosion or other damage, do not reuse those batteries but get new ones.

After the 15 minutes and assuming the batteries seem to be OK, put them back in and WAIT about 30-60 seconds. Then push the LOCATOR button on the base - to see if the handsets beeps now.

Please let me know if that works for you.
But even if it does, you should strongly consider replacing the batteries in the handset, as 3 years is a very long time for these to operate.

Please let me know the result of the reset.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, sadly that doesn't work

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

May I ask what the battery level indicator now shows - after removing the batteries for that short while?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It shows high, as before

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
OK - thanks for checking that.

I have another thing for you to try, which is changing the "ringer tone". I have another tutorial for that for you to look at and try.

Click Here --> Different Tutorial

Please watch the tutorial, then try the procedure on the REAL handset and let me know if you HEAR ANYTHING on your handset.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

(im)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, it's still the same with deleted bell icon

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.

Hi again,

Does that mean that you did NOT hear any changing sounds (ringers) on the handset when you attempted to change it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing at all

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - let me send you the FULL system reset procedure (below). Please give that a try and let me know if you have better results.

Cordless system "reset" procedure.
This is done by following the steps below.
============================
1) Remove the batteries from ALL handsets in the system.
2) Remove the phone cord from the main base unit AND the phone jack in the wall.
3) Remove the AC power adapter plug from the main base unit AND remove the AC adapter from the power outlet.
4) WAIT 20 minutes. This allows any "stuck" conditions in the components to clear.
5) Reconnect the batteries in all handsets.
6) Reconnect the phone cord between the main base and the phone jack in the wall.
7) Reconnect the AC power adapter plug in the main base unit and then plug the AC adapter into the wall power outlet.
8) Wait 30-60 seconds for the system to reinitialize.
9) Test each handset for proper function.
10) Test each function of the main base unit (answering system, caller id, etc.).
============================

Please give this a try and let me know if the ringer works again.

Thanks, Greg A.

(im)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry no improvement

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry that didn't work for you.

May I ask if this handset works in ALL other functions - except for the ringer?
That is, can you successfully place and receive calls AND can you use the Speakerphone key on the handset (just below the TALK key) to successfully communicate during calls?

I only ask because the Speakerphone feature uses the MOST power of any mode, and if the batteries are just starting to go bad, that Speakerphone function will start to fail too.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All functions work, except the speaker phone lately will only work for a few minutes, then the keytones pack in for a minute or 2.

Also, just noticed when replacing phone on handset after all the unplugging etc, no beep which it used to do

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - that sounds like those 3-year old batteries have started to get old and have dropped below the needed capacity to make the "louder" parts of the system operate (speakerphone, ringer, etc.).

So if it was ME, I would consider getting some NEW rechargable batteries (Ni-MH type), and then install them and allow them to charge for at least 4-5 hours. Then I would do the FULL system reset again, and then TEST the system (first with the LOCATOR button).

If that works, then you would be all set for a couple more years of service.

Please let me know if you can get those new batteries and try this out. That would be the least cost step at this point. If that does not work, then a newer system would be in order. I say "newer system" because getting a single replacement handset (which would be the next suspect component) often costs more than a newer system these days. Check out Amazon for a KX-TG6511 system vs. a KX-TGA652 handset, and you will see that there is very little difference in the price.

Please let me know if you can get some new batteries and TEST, or if you decide to get a replacement system (or handset).

Thanks, Greg A.

(im)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks will try for new batteries & let you know. You have tried hard to get it fixed for me.I

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 years ago.
You are quite welcome.

Please let me know what happens - when you can. I'm here almost every day to be able to help you.

Best Regards, Greg A.