Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

Locked by Customer Service

Customer Question

I have a wonderful Panasonic Easa-Phone KX-T2445BE in which the message received cassette has jammed and I do not want to force it out for fear of doing damage to a machine that is of so much use to me. Is there a repair centre to which I can send it? Thanks for your help Christopher XXXXX

Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hello Christopher, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the panasonic,

p0llinate :

As you know this is a very old model, having long been discontinued by panasonic. Because of this, parts are no longer made, and there is really no one that would service them any longer. Even if you could find the needed parts and a skilled engineer for repairs, it would cost many times the value of the system to fix it.

p0llinate :

Your best bet here is to try removing the tape yourself.

p0llinate :

Before doing so, please unplug both power and the phone cord from the machine, wait about an hour, then try to remove the tape.

p0llinate :

It is likely though that this is an internal hardware failure, specifically a broken spring, bad motor/gear, or the read/write head is stuck in the engaged position, which are trapping the tape.

p0llinate :

You may get lucky and be able to reset it via this method and remove the tape, and though the tape may end up being damaged, if the system falls back into place, you can just replace the tape.

p0llinate :

If the tape still cannot be removed, or if it doesn't work normally after the removal, there really isn't much hope here I'm afraid.

p0llinate :

If you would insist on repairs, finding a vintage audio repair shop (one that works on reel to reel and cassette players) is your best option, but this type of repair is likely to run you in the £200+ range, while you could buy a new answering machine for around 25.

JACUSTOMER-778480zp- :

Yes the read write head is stuck in engaged position. How to remove it?

p0llinate :

If it comes to that, I'll be happy to recommend some potential replacement models for you. The new systems on the market are all digital, and have no moving parts, so they tend to have a very long life span, provided they are protected from power surges.

p0llinate :

well the head doesn't just get stuck for no reason,

p0llinate :

when this happens, there is usually a failure of the motor that drives the head, or one of the springs or levers in the head mechanism has simply worn out and snapped or locked in place. When that occurs, there is no recourse other than to physically force the tape out, and see if the head will retreat to its former position. If it does not, it would require repairs to correct, which I've mentioned are not going to be practical, unfortunately.

JACUSTOMER-778480zp- :

I give up

JACUSTOMER-778480zp- :

Thanks for the free session

p0llinate :

If you are really attached to this model, and just don't want to update to the newer digital systems, I'd suggest looking for another unit of the same model (which you can sometimes find on ebay or other auction sites) to use it as a replacement, then keep your current unit for parts.

JACUSTOMER-778480zp- :

I give upChrisatopher

p0llinate :

Would you like help with finding a new system?

JACUSTOMER-778480zp- :

Thanks for the free session

JACUSTOMER-778480zp- :

Christopher XXXXX

p0llinate :

You're welcome Christopher, I'm happy to help, however as I mentioned in my introduction, this is a paid service, so there is a fee for my time spent working with you.

p0llinate :

I'm more than happy to continue working with you, until we reach a solution that is acceptable to you, whether it is tracking down a potential repair shop, or a suitable replacement model, if you wish to proceed.

JACUSTOMER-778480zp- :

That is strange because there were at least three messages saying that I would not be charged if I was not provided with a satisfactory result

p0llinate :

Yes, you are correct. This site does have a satisfaction guarantee. This is one of those situations that is clearly a hardware failure outside of my control, and as such with the nature of the live chat format, we are limited to diagnosing and explaining the problem, and providing practical advise for how to proceed, which I have done here.

p0llinate :

If my time and efforts are of absolutely no value at all to you, even in saving you time and effort on a futile attempt to fix a physically damaged and very old piece of equipment, then I can certainly have the question canceled out for you and have your deposit refunded.

p0llinate :

Otherwise, it would be customary to give a positive rating in recognition of my time spent working with you in a good faith attempt to answer your query.

p0llinate :

The decision is up to you of course.

JACUSTOMER-778480zp- :

The problem is not with you. The problem is that I had three messages offering free initial consultation and suddenly the consultation is not free. It is a management problem not a technical problem. I have consigned the telephone to the junk bin.

JACUSTOMER-778480zp- :

Thanks for trying

p0llinate :

I had the rating function disabled, until we could complete our conversation.

p0llinate :

You are welcome, and I do apologize for any confusion with the site. We have experts in a variety of areas like legal and medical, so the advertisements that things cannot always be fixed such as in the electronics areas, aren't always detailed as well as we'd like.

p0llinate :

I also don't mean to imply you are being forced to pay, as I said if my efforts were not of value to you, I'll request a refund for you.

JACUSTOMER-778480zp- :

Sadly, your efforts were of no value to me but that is not your fault. There are some things that can be done on the telephone and some that cannot.

p0llinate :

I understand. I'll put in for a refund for you then.

p0llinate :

Please do not rate me, as a negative rating only harms my personal record here.

p0llinate :

I'll be stepping out of the chat now, so that I may assist other customers. This is my profession, and the only way I am paid for my time is when I receive a positive rating from customers, so I must move on to work with others now.

p0llinate :

Have a good day,
Nathan

JACUSTOMER-778480zp- :

I would not give you a negative report but I do seriously question some of the managements practices.

JACUSTOMER-778480zp- :

Have a good day

41471.7450613889