Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

my telephone has no dialling

Customer Question

my telephone has no dialling
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the issue you are having with your phone system.

Can you tell me the Make & Model Number of the phone system you are working with?

May I also ask if you have ANY other devices (other phones, computers, etc.) attached to ANY other phone jacks in your home? The reason I ask is because the symptoms you report (I saw your other questions posted) are very common when a phone line is "hung" or just not working.

So if you have ANY other devices attached to ANY phone jack in your home, what I would suggest to do is physically disconnect ALL devices - including your phone - from ALL phone jacks in your home. Leave them disconnected and then after 5 minutes, place a call to your home number - from a different phone (such as a cell phone or neighbor's phone).

IF you STILL hear the call being switched immediately to Voice Mail, that means that there is a problem with your phone line or phone "service" - from your phone service provider. If that is the case, you will need to contact your provider as soon as possible and report this issue so that it can be looked into and repaired.

If you do NOT hear the call being immediately switched to Voice Mail, then that means that ONE of the devices you had connected before was "hanging" the phone line, and you can start to reconnect devices - ONE AT A TIME - and at the same time TEST for if you can get a dial tone and place calls. So I would recommend reconnecting the phone system FIRST, TEST, and if successful (you get dial tone and can place calls), continue in this manor - adding ONE DEVICE AT A TIME and TEST after each connection.

I hope this helps and makes sense. Please let me know your results or REPLY if you have more questions or symptoms.

Best Regards, Greg A.

(im)