Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

When my phone rings it only rings once then cuts out

Customer Question

Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question.

When your phone only rings once then cuts out, this fault is known as "ring trip". It can be caused by a number of things either inside or outside your property, and will require a process of elimination to track down the cause of the fault.

It could be caused by a broadband router, a faulty filter, a Sky box, or by faulty internal wiring or phone sockets.

You will need to check the main BT socket first by removing the faceplace to use the test socket and plug a phone directly into the test socket, then have someone try to ring your phone. If the line still trips then there is an external line fault and you will need to contact BT on 0800 800 151 to have it repaired.

If the fault does not occur when using the test socket, then you have an internal fault in your property and it will require a process of elimination to track it down by gradually connecting your devices one by one until the line trips again.