Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have a gigaset sl 400 We cannot ceive calls or make them The

Customer Question

I have a gigaset sl 400
We cannot ceive calls or make them
The lines have been checked and are working
We can use the handsets for room to room calls
What is the problem and how do we resolve please?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi Richard, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the phones,

Nathan :

This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home - indicated if no other phones outside the gigaset system are working) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets, and indicated if other phones outside the system are working). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

Nathan :

Since you are able to use the intercom function, I would suspect that the relays which pick up the phone line in the base station have failed.

Nathan :

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

If the problem persists after this, it tends to confirm a hardware failure which would require repairs to correct. Unfortunately once the 1 year warranty is up, repairs are not practical. Your best option at that point would be to replace the base station, if you can find a standalone one, since the handsets seem to still be working.

Nathan :

Typically you can't get just a base station alone (though you might try ebay), but you can get a new base with a single handset,

Gigaset SL400A Single DECT Bluetooth... (click for link)

Nathan :

which would work with your existing handsets, and add another to your system.