Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

hi our home phones have stopped working we have a panasonic

Customer Question

hi our home phones have stopped working we have a panasonic system with 3 phones 1 of which is the master. I presume the phone line is ok as Wi-Fi is still working? Also the 3 phones will ring each other still so i'm also presuming phones ok? any ideas?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and a negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!
_________________________

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the phones,

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) Does this happen with all of the panasonic handsets?
2) Are there other phones outside of this system in the building that are working properly.
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)

Typically, this type of problem would indicate either a line issue (which should not affect the wifi) or a problem with the base station (master phone). Let me know a bit more info, and we can proceed with some reset steps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes this happens with all the handsets

2/no other phones

3/bt phone line

4/not sure what dsl service is?

5/phone model kx-tg2513et

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

Hello Peter, thank you for the info.

This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

It would be very helpful to test another phone, if possible. Perhaps you can buy a cheap corded phone locally, or borrow one from a friend. If the issue happens on another phone as well, then it is a line issue, and BT would need to send an engineer out to check their equipment. If the other phone works, then we know it is a panasonic problem.

For a problem with the base station, the one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

If the problem persists after this, it tends to confirm a hardware failure which would require repairs to correct. Unfortunately once the 1 year warranty is up, repairs are not practical, and the base alone cannot be replaced. The most economical option in this case is to replace the entire system.

At that point, what I would suggest is to buy another system of the same model

Panasonic KX-TG2513ET DECT Trio (click for link)
as this would at least allow you to retain some value from your existing system. you'd junk the base station of the existing system, and then pair your existing handsets to the new system, expanding your total handsets to 6 in the process (or giving you some spares, in case some are ever damaged or stop working).