Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Phone Engineer
32989067

Hi I recently bought a BT4500 phone set from XXXXX XXXXX and

I recently bought a BT4500 phone set from XXXXX XXXXX and When I make or receive a call, I get a lot of crackling interference at my end , although the person at the other end can't hear it. I read in the booklet supplied with the phone that it shouldn't be nearer than one metre away from electrical appliances. As I live in a flat, this is very difficult to achieve. presently the phone is plugged into a socket near a table lamp and the electric door bell. Do you have any suggestions please, as I don't have many options of where to plug the base unit in where it is near the phone line socket
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

I do not believe it is interference, but to confirm, switch off all the appliances.

Then test and tell me if you still get the issue please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm waiting for an answer

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Sue,

I sent you instructions to do and am awaiting your response.

I will repeat them again below

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

YOU DON'T SEEM TO GETTING MY REPLY. I SWITCHED OFF THE APPLIANCES AND IT WAS SLIGHTLY BETTER BUT I STILL GET INTERFERENCE IF I MOVE AROUND WITH THE PHONE IN MY HAND

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I only received this Sue.

If you switched off all appliances and still had interference, then this is not the issue.

But to confirm, did you also switch off your internet modem when doing the test?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I didn't. Shall I try that

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Please do as this will give the most interference.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes that worked. I didn't get any interference then- however it does cause another problem- the phone and the modem are in the same room and about 2 metres from each other

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, you need to seperate them Sue, you cannot avoid this.

Leave the modem on, then move the phone till you get it to a distance far enough away from the modem, but this is the cause of the problem, and you will need to seperate them as far as you possibly can.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.