Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

Power cut. when power in sockets came back on, could not phone

Power cut. when power in sockets came back on, could not phone out or receive calls. however internally they where working. the model is a seiman gigaset A1680
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Nathan :

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones, outside of this system but on the same line that are working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?

Customer:

Hi Nathan, there are four handset.s the model is a seiman gigaset A180. it is a land line to the main base and the other three sets are wireless connected

Nathan :

Thanks for the info

Nathan :

The most likely issue is that a power surge fried some components in the base station,

Nathan :

Do you not get a dial tone or able to call in/out on the main base (corded) either? Can you test a different corded phone?

Customer:

No dial tone,tried another handset in the base they dial a number but no ringing sound. the base is an AS180 gigaset and not as I stated earlier sorry. I have tried the other 3 handsets registering them in the main base and they seem okay just not receiving or out going

Nathan :

Okay, what I am trying to determine is if another phone (not part of the seimens system) will function,

Nathan :

that will tell us if this is a problem with the line, or if the problem is in the base station

Nathan :

This could be either a defective base station, or a failure in the phone companies equipment (which they would need to fix)

Nathan :

If you don't have another phone to test, could you possibly borrow one briefly from a friend/neighbor?

Nathan :

If another phone won't work either, then contact the phone company to send an engineer out to fix the line on their end

Nathan :

If another phone does work, then it is the base station,

Nathan :

In that event,

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

Customer:

thanks Nathan I'll give a try and get back to you in 15minutes

Nathan :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX for your update when you have a chance. Were you able to test another phone?

Customer:

tried different base and tried to ring a number, heard dialling but no sound,other phones read line in use

Nathan :

When you say a different base, you mean a different phone system (not part of your gigaset cordless package), correct?

Nathan :

If so, that means the problem is with the line

Customer:

the first base was a seimen gigaset AS180, 2nd base was a seimens gigaset A160

Nathan :

But with separate handsets? You weren't registering the old handsets to the new base?

Nathan :

Really either way, I'd still assume this to be a line fault, the chances of having 2 bad bases is very low

Customer:

i registerd old handsets with base and they are working internally. i will contact landline supplier,although my tv is working off the same line.and wifi

Nathan :

You mean you have dsl internet service?

Customer:

yes

Nathan :

It is possible for dsl to work while voice doesn't, it is a matter of the switching equipment the phone co uses

Nathan :

It would really be best to test the line with a corded phone, rather than a cordless base, as there are so many variables with them. A corded phone simply works or it doesn't, depending on the line condition