Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have a BT Graphite 3500. When I answer calls on the main

Customer Question

I have a BT Graphite 3500. When I answer calls on the main phone, I am just getting a very loud crackle. The other 2 phones are working normally. I cannot hear the caller and they cannot hear me. The battery is charging normally.

Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here. I am also sending you an offer so you can reach me directly me by phone if preferred. Feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time if you need to get more help after our chat.

Nathan :

This could be a line issue, but it is most likely a hardware defect, meaning a bad radio transceiver in either the base station or the handset. It could also be caused by radio interference from another device. Do you have more than 1 handset with the bt cordless system?

Customer:

Thank you for replying, Nathan. It is really frustrating as I thought I was getting through to a BT technician to answer my question for which I THUOGHT I WAS PAYING £28 . Can you just tell me if I can do anything myself or if I have to post the phone to BT? The phone has 2 extensions which are OK. The main phone with the fault is beside my pc.

Nathan :

I am an independent tech experienced with BT hardware, so I can help, but I don't work for BT directly.

Nathan :

What I meant was is there more than 1 cordless handset? I realize there may be other wired stations

Nathan :

one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

Nathan :

If that still doesn't help, and you have multiple cordless handsets but only one has the problem, then that handset is defective. If you have only one (or they all have the issue) then the problem is more likely in the base station.

Nathan :

To save you some time though, unless it is nearly new and still under the typical 90 day or 1 year guarantee, it isn't worth fixing. Sending it in will only result in high repair and post costs. It isn't worth fixing, as you can buy a brand new replacement system for far less than you would spend on repairs.

Customer:

Many thanks. I will try what you suggest. The 2 others are cordless but sit on their own base.I will turn off my pc now

Nathan :

Okay

Nathan :

Note that the "base" is just a charging station most likely. Unless those each have a wire to the telephone plug too, they are only accessory handsets.

Nathan :

That would mean that the one crackling handset is likely defective. You can buy a new handset (but not a new base) so that is actually a better outcome.

Nathan :

I would test the handset away from your computer too though, it is possible your wifi is causing interference.

Customer:

I will try what you suggest. Many thanks.

Nathan :

My pleasure.