Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Phone Engineer
32989067

hi I have a panasonic HCX900 video camera and a Panasonic DVD

hi I have a panasonic HCX900 video camera and a Panasonic DVD burner VW-BN01 i have just burnt a disc from the camera onto the reccomended DVD and its finished...I have tried playing it in my DVD player but it doesnt seem to recognise it and have also tried playing it on my computer but also seems to be difficulties...any ideas please?

Cathy
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you tell me please Cathy which program you used to make the DVD?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

any chance of speaking on the phone? where are you?

Cathy

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
We cant sorry Cathy, but I believe I know the problem you are having and can tell you easily what you need to do.

First, which program did you use to make the DVD?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you mean HA, HG, HX etc....I wasnt sure which one to choose, and Im

not 100 per cent sure but I think I chose the HG. Is this what you meant?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I mean on your computer Cathy

Which program did you use to make the DVD on your computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didnt make the dvd on my computer because in the high format of filming its not compatable with the mac which is what I have.

No I filmed it on the camera, in 1080/50p and then used the panasonic dvd burner which is just connected straight to the camera

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You cannot do it this way Cathy

All you did was put the video file onto the disk.

To play it in a DVD player, you need to use a program such as Pinnacle Studio to make it into a DVD format.

You have to be able to put it onto a computer, then use a program such as Pinnacle Studio, or any Video editing software, and then make the DVD within this program.

This is then able to be read on any DVD player, but you cannot do it directly from the camera.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes please I have another question, so when i says its a DVD burner? doesnt that mean its burning a dvd?When I bought it that was what i understood form panasonic

SO can I then use imove, on my Mac to make it into a playable DVD?

thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You are burning to a DVD Disk, yes. But this is just a DVD disk that can be used on computers, DVD players ect.

The format the files are in is the Key. And to play on DVD players it needs to be in DVD format.

eg: You can put MP3's Jpgs, AVI ect files onto a DVD no problem, but a DVD player would not display them as it is not in the DVD format (VOB files).

To use iMovie depends, if your computer came also with iDVD then yes, but they stopped providing it on newer Macs.

But in iMovie you would do the following.

In iMovie
• Make a project and add videos to it in the way You want it
• When edited it to Your liking then
• Go up to Share Menu and here - Select "Share to Media Browser" and as Large (Not HD or other resolution)
(I never use "Share to iDVD" in any version of iMovie at all - as result degrades)
• Now close iMovie and
• Open iDVD - (If You got a brand new Mac then it doesn't come with iDVD so You must get it in another way)
• In the new iDVD Project goto Media Button and here to Movies and now You find it and can import it into Your iDVD project.
• When You are done with the layout of this
• Press Burn button and insert a New DVD disk WHEN iDVD ASKS FOR IT - NOT Prior to this.

The resulting disk will work in a DVD Player.

If you do not have iDVD installed, best is to use the program Pinnacle Studio, or if you have a windows computer there, Microsoft Movie Maker.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Thanks for that

Just one more question...how do I import the info thats now on my computer, as a dvd into imove for burning onto a dvd

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You don't import it as a DVD Cathy, you just import the file.

It is when you make the DVD via the instructions I gave, is it converted into the DVD format.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I get that but how do i get imovie to recognise it so that I can convert it into dvd format?

C

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
What format is the file currently?

And what does iMovie say when importing it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

File is currently named AVCHDTN and theres another one which is BDMV

when I open the former and try to take the thumbnail into imove its says

its not compatible with imovie

Is there a way round this? there is more info if I open up the BDMV file...

thanks

C

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

You first convert the files using this program Cathy

http://www.wondershare.com/avchd/avchd-converter.html

You are best to convert to AVI or Mpeg and then use this in iMovie.

iMovie will then accept this file format.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks for that info. Ill get back to you if I have more probs with it.

Thanks for your help

Cathy

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome Cathy

I have marked this question to never close, so any issues, just let me know here please.