Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have Panasonic KX TG931 two line phone with no link to

Customer Question

I have Panasonic KX TG9321 two line phone with no link to base.

Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here. I am also sending you an offer so you can reach me directly me by phone if preferred. Feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time if you need to get more help after our chat.

Nathan :

This symptom almost always indicates a hardware failure in the base station (since it happens with multiple handsets) This is usually a failed control board or radio transceiver in the base station. We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

Nathan :

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

If the problem persists after this, it tends to confirm a hardware failure which would require repairs to correct. Unfortunately once the 1 year warranty is up, repairs are not practical, and the base alone cannot be replaced. The most economical option in this case is to replace the entire system.

Nathan :

Even though it is an old (2010) model, your system is still available: Panasonic KX-TG9321T 2-Line Cordless Phone, Metallic Black, 1 Handset (click for link)

Nathan :

So what you can do is buy a new bundle with a base station and 1 handset, to replace the existing base, then pair your existing handsets to the new system.

Customer:

Hi Nathan,

Customer:

Thank you for your quick reply.

Customer:

I had already done everything you suggested. Having dealt with modems, etc., I always leave things unplugged and without power for a while to make sure there is no residual charge floating around.

Customer:

So given all the things I have tried, essentially the answer is - buy a new set?

Nathan :

Good afternoon (from the US), sorry I missed you earlier.

Nathan :

I realized you had unplugged, but wanted to make sure you ran through this specific process, with battery out of handset, then reseating in the base after to sync them, as it is slightly different.

Nathan :

If still no luck with that, then yes, the answer is to buy a new system, as your base station has an internal defect.

Nathan :

As I mentioned though, you can get another of the same unit, and then pair your existing handsets to it, to at least be able to salvage the handsets. I sent a link to order one earlier, but let me know if I need to resend, or I can recommend some alternate models for you if you don't need a 2 line system.

Customer:

Ok - now I am in a bit of a position - on one hand you have given me your best advice, which was clear and to the point.

Customer:

On the other hand - all you have added is the conclusion my phone is like the proverbial parrot in the Monty Python sketch.

Customer:

I want to recommend you for your advice, but... - I am reluctant to pay ££/$$/for advice that mirrored what I had already done myself - what might you suggest I might do to square the circle?

Nathan :

I certainly understand your perspective.

Nathan :

Typically, this is an all or nothing service, which puts me in a similar position. I'm an independent tech, and am only paid for my time and effort when you leave a positive rating.

Nathan :

What I would suggest, if you're willing to do so, would be to contact the customer service folks (you can do so through the HELP or MyAccount link at top of page), and request an adjusted value of the question. Perhaps half of what you originally agreed to?

Nathan :

Failing that, you could omit rating entirely. I would be left working without pay, but I would rather, if necessary, go without than have a negative rating reflected upon my record. A positive rating results in you paying the full amount you initially agreed to. I will leave the decision up to your discresion.

Customer:

Been one of those weekends – flat tires, etc. Anyway I have an amazing capacity to destroy electronic systems, - my laptops certainly use up their Apple-care guarantees, remote controls die, Ethernets stop working etc. Maybe I am getting old, but nothing works anymore. I just want reliability. There has to be a Billy Crystal comedy sketch there.

Now, you have put a lot of effort into this, so I will definitely give you a positive rating. Hell, one can spend more money on a woman, and have a worst time. Besides, you now have had to listen to me rant…

I spoke to Panasonic chat, and there is a remote possibility that I can get a replacement board. The huge hope, since I live in the UK and these 2-line systems are not available here, was that it was software reboot issue. To get another system from the US will take time.

Cheers

Nathan :

Thanks for the update. If they will provide you the part, and you can get it installed yourself or under the factory warranty still, it is certainly a viable option. They typically don't make any parts available for these, and even under warranty they aren't generally repaired, just exchanged for a new model, then your old one fixed at the factory and sold as reconditioned in another country.

Nathan :

Best of luck to you though, whatever route you end up going.

Customer:

Being in the UK is the complication....

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Residential and commercial systems.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Did you see the link I sent earlier in our chat? That item is available in the states, and I believe Amazon will ship to you over there. You should be able to use your existing power transformers on the new system to adapt to your voltage.