Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have a Panasonic KX-TG6713EB DECT Phone system with multiple

I have a Panasonic KX-TG6713EB DECT Phone system with multiple phones.
One phone has no display at all, and on one of the others the display is fading.
I have tried turning them both on and off multiple times, all to no avail.
The faded display has the contrast turned right up, but it's still faded.
Have used a good phone to step through settings and mirrored each step on the "no display" phone but it makes no difference.
I have tried swapping the batteries in the faded display but that makes no difference.
Is there any kind of reset for these, or is it throw them away and replace with new?
Bit concerned about that if this is going to happen to each phone in turn [I have 6 of these phones]
Derek
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.

If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.

Nathan :

Unfortunately Derek, you've already done exactly what should be done (swapping batteries, testing contrast),

Nathan :

which indicates a hardware defect, meaning that the lcd display/backlighting components are failing

Nathan :

you can remove the batteries and leave them out for 15+ minutes in an effort to reset

Nathan :

but beyond that it is a hardware defect that would require repairs to correct. Those repairs simply wouldn't be practical, and you couldn't find the parts anyway. You'd spend more to fix one handset than you would to replace the entire system with a new bundle that has 3-5 handsets.

Nathan :

This is not a known problem related to this specific model, though it does occasionally happen. Having 2 of them go bad is pretty unusual.

Nathan :

You can certainly replace individual handsets, though even that can get cost prohibitive. A single accessory handset will typically be about £30.

Nathan :

You can buy a whole bundle with a new base and 3 handsets for a little over 40. That would be my recommendation. Though you don't need it, you'd be replacing the handsets at a reasonable cost, and have the bonus of getting a spare base you can stash away in case your existing one is ever damaged. That should ensure pretty good longevity of your current group of handsets.

Customer:

Didn't realize you are nothing to do with Panasonic, but a "paid for" website.

Nathan :

I am a panasonic authorized dealer/installer. This is a paid service though, which should have been made clear at multiple steps through the process where you posted your question, agreed to the terms and conditions, entered your payment info/deposit, etc.

Nathan :

As this is a 2011 model phone though, you are surely past the manufacturers warranty, and Panasonic wouldn't support it at this stage anyway, they would have a fee for support as well, and provide you the same answers in the end, though you'd be on hold for an hour with an overseas call center before getting to talk to someone.

Customer:

Didn't have much option so this was a bit naughty in my view.

If I have to buy new, I have nothing to lose by taking one apart to see if there is anything obvious.