Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have a KX-TG6611SL cordless phone and lately the connection/sound

Customer Question

I have a KX-TG6611SL cordless phone and lately the connection/sound quality has dramatically reduced, to the point now where I can no longer use it. To me people on the line sound fine but they say they can barely hear me. I've tested it and indeed, listening to the phone from the other end of the line sounds like a mechanical/robotic type of static with barely any sound of the actual speaker.
The phone is less than 2 years old and doesn't get used much so I can't understand what's happened. Any ideas??
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the issue you are having with your phone system/service.

May I ask if you have more than one handset with this system, and if so, do you have the same issue with ALL handsets?

May I also ask what phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

One more thing: Do you have a DIFFERENT phone (such as a basic corded phone) you can use to TEST - to see if this is a phone system issue or a phone line issue?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there, it has only one base set and one handset. Unfortunately I don't have another phone to test the line, but seeing as I can hear callers perfectly well (it's only them that can't here me) I think we're safe to assume it's the handset.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.

May I ask what phone service provider you have for this phone line?

Also, may I ask if you have a friend or neighbour close by that you could either borrow a simple phone from to do the TEST, OR you could take the Panasonic base and handset there, and TEST it connected to their (working) phone line?

As you might be able to tell, I don't like to "assume" anything. And over the years, I have discovered that "The only SAFE assumption is to assume that your assumption is wrong". I believe in TESTING - to find the real issue.

Also, over the last several years, when symptoms like the ones you reported (one side of the conversation can not be heard) occur, 85% of the time these symptoms have been traced back to the "service" - or the service provider.

Please let me know and we can proceed to troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there, ok yes I will get a neighbour's phone on Wednesday evening as I fly tomorrow morning for a 3 day business trip. The service provider is UPC. Is there anything else I could do/try tonight to see if that works before I do the test on Wednesday?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

Is UPC providing you with a "digital-based" phone service (vs. old-style "analog")?

I only ask because you mentioned a "mechanical/robotic type of static" on the line, and that sounds like some type of digital based service (like modern cell phones).

If that is the case, then you could contact the "Technical Support" folks at your provider (usually available 24 hours a day) and have them look into this issue.

Another note:
That percentage I mentioned earlier (about tracing this back to the provider for these symptoms) goes UP to about 95% or more IF the provider is a "digital based" provider.

So if they are digital, that would be my next step. Just reporting the issue to them may be enough to get this "fixed" during your trip.

Please let me know what you find - when you can.

Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.

(im)