Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have a Panasonic KX-TCD447 cordless phone. It has worked

I have a Panasonic KX-TCD447 cordless phone.
It has worked well for a couple of years.
At the moment, although the screen looks fine and batteries are charged, I cannot make a call (the number seems to be accepted but when I press call, nothing happens) and I cannot receive calls. People say they ring but we do not hear any ringing call so do not pick up. If we ring our own landline from a mobile, the landline does not respond at all and the mobile just keeps ringing.
Nick
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hello Nick & Welcome,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

May I ask if you have a DIFFERENT phone you can plug into the phone line - in place of the Panasonic Main Base? This would be to TEST the phone service itself, as this sounds like the phone line may be the issue (and not the Panasonic).

OR, can you take the Main Base unit and one handset to a friend or neighbour's home and TEST it there?

If you have the same symptoms when connected to a "known working" phone line, that would tell us that the Main Base unit of the Panasonic system has a hardware failure, and I suspect that the system would have to be replaced.

Please let me know what you can TEST and the results or if you have any other questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your note.

I am running a BT Hub for broadband through the same line and the Hub is still working (or I would not be able to send this email) so I do not believe it is the actual phone line that is the problem.

Are there any other checks or changes I could make to the Panasonic Main Base or phone handset that would enable me to get this thing to work?

If not, are you saying I have to replace the phone set/main base altogether?

Nick

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

If you are going through a hub that "generates" the internet AND phone services for you, it is still possible that the "phone" portion of the service is not working while the internet portions continues to work.

That is one of the reasons I always like to TEST - with a "known good" phone service OR a known good phone system. I am NOT saying that the phone set needs to be replaced, but it should be TESTED - in one way or another - to determine the actual cause of the problem.

As you might be able to tell - I believe in TESTING to find a solution, and not simply replacing components (as a "guess").

Now since you mentioned that you are running through a hub, you could also "reboot" that hub and see if that restores service. To reboot a typical sequence is to remove ALL POWER from the device (including any backup battery that may be there) and leave the device without power for AT LEAST 2 minutes. Then reconnect the power source, and allow the device (the hub) to reboot. This will often "reload" any software that is used internally in the device and restore ALL functions to the hub.

So if you can TEST your phone - OR borrow a simple known working phone (corded is my preference) - that should lead us to the correct diagnosis of the issue.

Please let me know what you can TEST and what you find.

Best Regards, ***** *****

(im)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tested phone by taking it to a neighbour - phone works fine - broadband then stopped working. It is a fault on the line which BT are now working on.

NM

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nick and thanks for letting me know what was found.

Please let me know what happens with BT or if you have any more questions.

And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this issue. You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)
Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Working with Electronics for 25+ years.