Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have a Geemark cordless telephone which when any one presses

I have a Geemark cordless telephone which when any one presses the answering machine it lets out a horrible loud screeching noise, it was working perfectly until about a month ago and then this problem started, it means no one is able to leave any messages for me.
Please give advice Mrs B. Clark
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:
1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the base usually)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for replying, question 1) yes I have another phone and it does the same thing. 2) I other phone which is working properly. 3) the landline is with Tiscali. 4) do not understand the question.

5) Amplidect 285

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information, Babette.
When you pick up the geemark phone (when it is ringing) to answer a call yourself, does it sound normal then? Or is the screech only heard on the recorded messages?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry about the delay. When I answer the phone when it's ringing it's fine, it's only when the answer phone kicks in it starts the screeching.

Babette

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for confirming, Babette,This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.2) remove batteries from all handsets3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge5) check for functionality.