Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

My Gigaset C300 phone stopped ringing during an external call.

My Gigaset C300 phone stopped ringing during an external call. also the answering machine while showing "On" on the handsets does not answer external calls. Problem developed while phone was in standby.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:
1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Are callers prompted to leave a message, and do so, but none is available to hear on the base?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1) two handsets show the same problem

2) no

3) landline from local cable company (Virgin Media)

4) broadband only via same line and is working normally

5) callers do not hear a prompt to leave message

Jos

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information, Jos. This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.2) remove batteries from all handsets3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge5) check for functionality. Let me know the results,Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for yoru suggestions. I had already tried toremove batteries from the handsets without results. However while writing to you and checking email my wife made an external phone call and after that the problem had disappeared. We checked and both handsets ring and the answering machine is back to normal. Still a mystery of what and why it happened. Anyway thank you very much for the advice offered.

Best regards,

Jos

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome, Jos. I'm glad to hear it is working again for you. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/ Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan