Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Panasonic wireless KX-TG2513ET. 4 handsets. Can receive calls. Dialling

Panasonic wireless KX-TG2513ET. 4 handsets.
Can receive calls.
Dialling tone OK, but after dialling number reverts to dialling tone. Re-registering a handset sometimes allows to dial out once but then goes back to problem.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the issue you are having.

May I ask:
1) If you have this issue with ALL handsets of this system, when trying to call out?
2) The AGE of this phone system and WHEN this issue first began?
3) What phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
4) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg,

Q1. All handsets.

Q2. About 5 years, problem only yesterday.

Q3. BT

Q4. Standard wired phone for when power goes down, BT Broadband router, Sky box.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Steve E.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve,

May I ask if the "All handsets" from Q1 INCLUDES the "standard wired phone"?

That is, have you tried (tested) calling out with the wired phone when this issue happens AND does it happen repeatedly (can it be reproduced on a regular basis)?

(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg,

Wired phone appears to be behaving normally.

Steve.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

Have you ALSO TESTED with the cordless handsets - at about the same time as the wired phone?

I only ask because these symptoms of "breaking dial tone" (when calling out) and then "returning to dial tone" at usually associated with the phone "service" - at least in my experience.

(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg,

You seem to be on right track. Cordless handsets now seem to be working intermittently!!!

Steve.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - IF this is an issue with the "phone service" (from BT), then the wired phone should have intermittent issues too.

To detect that, you would of course need to TEST repeatedly, and at about the same time as the cordless phones are having the issue.

Now I also believe that a "reset" of the cordless system might be in order - just in case the main base unit has developed "glitch" of some kind, or perhaps a loose connection to the phone cord (at either end). So let me send you the "reset" procedure that I use to reset most of the cordless phone systems I work with back to a stable state (clears out "strange issues").

Cordless system "reset" procedure. This is done by following the steps below.
============================
1) Remove the batteries from ALL handsets in the system.
2) Remove the phone cord from the main base unit AND the phone jack in the wall.
3) Remove the AC power adapter plug from the main base unit AND remove the AC adapter from the power outlet.
4) WAIT 15 minutes. This allows any "stuck" conditions in the components to clear.
5) Reconnect the batteries in all handsets.
6) Reconnect the phone cord between the main base and the phone jack in the wall.
7) Reconnect the AC power adapter plug in the main base unit and then plug the AC adapter into the wall power outlet.
8) Wait 30-60 seconds for the system to reinitialize.
9) Test each handset for proper function.
10) Test each function of the main base unit (answering system, caller id, etc.).
============================

Another consideration is the AGE of the batteries in the handsets. I say this because if the batteries are getting old and "dropping" the cordless connection to the base, that could generate the same symptoms. So you may want to consider replacing ONE set of batteries in one handset, charging those batteries for a few hours, and then repeating the TESTS of dialling out and seeing if there is any improvement.

Please give the RESET a try and let me know what you find (if the cordless system behaves "better") or if you have more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg,

Have tried reset. Problem now worse! In that all handsets seem to work but only intermittently and not all 'down' at the same time. Have also tried supposedly fully charged batteries but this still gives intermittent connection. I would buy new set of phones but it may be fault on line or with my internal wiring. This last idea not probable since no problem with broadband. I suppose that I can go to neighbour and try out set up on another line - but not until tomorrow! Thanks for help so far. I'll let you know how I get on. Unless of course you have further ideas.

Steve E.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve,

TESTING your Panasonic system (main base and one handset should be fine) IS the next logical thing to do - so that sounds like a good plan.

As for "supposedly fully charged batteries": If the batteries are the same TYPE as the originals and LESS THAN 1 YEAR OLD, that would be a valid test.

One other thing: If you phone "service" is actually coming from or "going through" the broadband router, there is a chance that the phone service feature IN the router is having an issue. These types of issues can sometimes be "fixed" by doing a total "power cycle" of ALL of the BT components. For most post cycles, you will want to remove all power from the router (and other components) for a FULL 2 minutes, then reconnect power and let the system reboot (usually takes a minute or two).

I mention this only because phone services coming "through" a router (or gateway) has become more and more common, and that can be a "point of failure" for many system.

So please feel free to continue to TEST your Panasonic phones at another location, and perhaps to TEST with the wired phone WHEN the cordless system has these symptoms.

And take as long as you need - I'm here almost every day to help.

I will look for your results later.

Best Regards, ***** *****

(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg, Thanks again for your attempts at fault finding on Sat. Have taken base unit and handset across road and have had same intermittent problem. They had noticed a problem but had hoped it would sort itself out. Have reported fault to BT, who are showing on website that fault is near to here, so now waiting for them to contact me. Will report to you on result.

Thanks again.

Steve E.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve,

You are quite welcome and thanks for letting me know what happened.

I look forward to your final results/repair of the service by BT.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you isolate this issue.

You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)
Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Working with Electronics for 25+ years.