Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have a Siemens Gigaset A585 telephone. My second handset

Customer Question

I have a Siemens Gigaset A585 telephone. My second handset A58H will not allow me to
dial out but I can receive calls. When I remove the handset from the base station the
idling display disappears and leaves a line of dashes with a center dot and I cannot
change anything. Mr G m Iles
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. This would indicate a faulty handset or a communications problem with the base.We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.2) remove batteries from all handsets3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge5) check for functionality.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did everything as advised but the end result is the same. I still cannot phone out. Unit is fully charged with new batteries
Gerry Iles
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** problem persists even after this step, it would indicate an internal fault. At that point the handset will need to be replaced (they are considered non-repairable).At that point, you're actually better off replacing the entire system. Your model is 5 years old and now discontinued, and even when parts can be found, you'd spend more on a single replacement handset than you would for a whole new system: http://amzn.to/1QgcMTN