Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

My stepmother has two cordless KX-TG6721E phones purchased

My stepmother has two cordless KX-TG6721E phones purchased July 2013. Both have developed a strange fault and frequently require banging on a hard surface to engage properly. Do they both require new batteries? If so, which kind? They register as being fully charged on the screen but that might not refer to the phone itself.
Please advise. Thank you. Heather Stoney
***@******.***
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. First please stop banging them on things as that could damage them and make it worse. How old are they?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As mentioned, the phones (one being an extension) were purchased in July 2013 thus two years 4 months old. Perhaps banging is the wrong word - I should have said 'tap'.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok I wasn't sure if both were purchased at the same time or not. Before "tapping" them what do they do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to call you at the moment as any minute I may have to assist my disabled husband! In reply to your question, the keypad is slow to respond or refuses to respond when telephone numbers are punched in.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I can not call you anyway as I can not call the U.K. so I would have had to opt out if you had taken that offer. I have no way to turn it off or I would. When this happens if you push down hard on the buttons do they work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eventually. After some tapping. As if there's a loose connection but both phones behave the same way. They are not used at the same time obviously as one is an extension.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That actually sounds indeed like it is, that is why I asked if they respond if you push down hard without tapping them first do they work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes. It is arbitrary. Sometimes fine, sometimes not. But if it's a loose connection, where would it be as one phone is upstairs and one down?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Neither of those actually it would be inside the handset itself you would actually need to open them up. The keypad is connected to a circuit board it needs to connect with in order to respond when you press a key. If that circuit board gets loose or damage it can cause this issue. Sometimes squeezing hard around the corners of the small screen will pop it back into place. Unfortunately this also happens if the board is failing which normally requires replacing the handset itself. Did you happen to get an extended warranty with them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, alas. What you say makes sense. It would have nothing to do with the batteries then?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I wish it did but from what you are describing I sincerely ***** ***** If you had an extended warranty this would normally be covered. Without one it is usually not worth repairing as you can replace the entire system cheaper than the repair. To double check the batteries just to be 100% sure if you have another handset that is working you can swap the battery from that to find out. From what you have told me though that does not sound like the issue as the screen normally would not stay on if the batteries were dying. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Panasonic.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience.