Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech.
Experience:  10 yrs fixing office equipment. Decades of typewriter fixes.
13568747

I have a panasonic kx-tea308 with 6 extentions. When there

Customer Question

I have a panasonic kx-tea308 with 6 extentions. When there is an incoming call all 6 extns ring. Occassionaly, an extn will ring trip and answer the call without any one picking up a handset. It seemed that only 2 extns answered the calls so I swapped the 2 phones over with 2 other extns. Now a completely different exten intermittantly answers the call. Any ideas please
Dennis
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. If the lines are old in your offices/location/building, the cords that lead to the phones that is, I would replace the oldest of them. There may be intermittent lines or broken/intermittently loose cables/jacks/ends, somewhere in the local phone network of cables.Barring that, undoing each cable's end, one at a time, and blowing off the end vigorously to remove dust, also blowing into the jack the cable goes into, and then re-plugging the cable into the jack (and then on to the next one and so forth), would be advisable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping for a more definitive answer. All the cabling and jacks are all fairly new, probably less than 6 months old but all the phones and the pbx are 2nd hand so I don't know the actual age. I have already tried swapping telephone cords (well the whole telephone actually) and I don't quite get your take on intermittent lines or broken/intermittently loose cables/jack/ends as surely ring trip is a result of a short or breakdown in resistance. And when I say the telephone ring trips, it actually is the telephone that appears to ring trip as the C/O line lamp glows green on the extn that has ring tripped and the call can only be cleared by going on/off hook on the extn.
I will impliment your suggestion on removing the telephone cord plug from the telephones and line jacks and give them a good clean.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I guessed wrong about the cabling perhaps being aging. By all means clean and reseat. Let me know if there is any result, once all in the network of phones has been done, at your convenience.