Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Gigaset C59H (x5) - done all the correct things with the batterys,

Gigaset C59H (x5) - done all the correct things with the batterys, system just out of waranty, phone cuts out on low battery after a few mins. but shows full charge then no charge but batterys are OK when removed and checked on a separate indicator. what next ?
Category: Phone Systems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
forgot to give you my email address .........***@******.***
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.To help you with this issue, may I ask:1) The AGE of this system?2) Are ALL of these handsets having the same issue?3) Have you replaced (with new) ANY of the batteries in these handsets (with the same type as original)?4) When you say "done all the correct things with the batterys", what does that include?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply.
1 Ordered 05/07/2014 - delivered within a few days and set up.
2 Yes
3 Have replaced with new the batteries in 3 of the 5 handsets - same NiMH type but different manufacture and 1000mAh rather than the 650mAh supplied with the phones.
4 From new - fully charged on all 5 phones then fully discharged then charged again but phones usually sit on charging base most of the time. 2 of the phones don't get much use and don't last long on a call before cutting out on low battery.
Other 3 (the ones with new batteries) get more use and last longer before cutting out on low battery.
Regards.
Jim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg
Just noticed when looking into all the paperwork - the actual model number of the phone system is C595 !!!
Sorry to mess you about with what may have been a wrong number.
Jim
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jim, Sorry for any delayed response. The 1000mAh batteries should be fine, as long as they are GOOD QUALITY batteries. One other thing you may want to try to resolve this issue is to CLEAN ALL of the battery contacts AND the charging contacts (bottom of the handsets AND the chargers). I usually do that cleaning with a bit of alcohol and a lint free cloth or cotton tipped instrument (for the tight spaces). Of possible, I would also TEST those batteries - with a battery tester that puts a "load" on the batteries. That is a true capacity test. The battery level indicators in ALL of these cordless phones systems is not a very good - for showing the true condition of the batteries. I am assuming that each of these "cut outs" are WITH a low battery showing, and not a loss of signal between the base and the handsets, but let me know if that is a wrong assumption - as we may be chasing some other issue (besides batteries). Let me know if you can get access to a battery TESTER and/or if you have better results after cleaning ALL the contacts on the handsets (battery & charger contacts). I will look for your results later, Greg A.(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg
Thanks for your help.
The "cut outs" are indeed with blank screen or low battery indicator showing and not signal loss to base station.
I will do the contact clean and try to get a loaded battery test done.
When complete I will be in touch again to keep you posted on the outcome.
Regards.
Jim
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
You're quite welcome Jim, I will look for your results later on. Please let me know if you have any more questions. And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this issue. You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.Thanks, ***** ***** .-(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Greg
Looks like we are getting somewhere now.
I'm still organizing for a friend, when he gets time, to do a load test on the original supplied batteries - however it seems that where I have already fitted the new 1000mAh batteries (in 3 of the 5 phones) the call duration time is acceptable and back up to what I had at first use with the original supplied batteries. This leads me to think that the original supplied 650mAh batteries, after a short number of months in use, are unable to hold a proper charge although they are able to hold a charge for weeks when out of the phone. I'm going to replace the remaining original supplied batteries in the last 2 phones and see if we are all up and running satisfactorily again. All 5 of the phones do tend to sit on the charging bases all the time. I wonder if this has caused the original supplied batteries to "give up" after a year in use ? Is the answer here to replace the rechargeables each year or perhaps we should leave each of the phones off their charging bases every so often to exercise the batteries a bit?
Thanks for your help and kind regards.
Jim Ure
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jim, Its good to hear that the newer batteries are giving you acceptable performance.As for the original batteries not being able to hold a charge - what I have found of the last several years it that some key factors for how well batteries perform are:- Manufacturer (who made them)- How they are used- Number of "charge cycles" (discharge & recharge).In my experience with my own cordless phones over the years, where some get heavy use (daily) and some "just sit" on the charger, the ones that get the most use tend to "wear out" the quickest. I suspect that is because of the "charge cycles" - as ALL batteries have a limited number of times they can be used.And yes, I do TRY to "rotate" the handsets - so that that ALL handsets are used (exercised) on a regular basis. What I tend to do is replace the batteries - with good quality replacements (name brand) about every 1.5 - 2 years or so. I usually order them online in multiple battery batches - to keep the cost down. If you check places like Amazon, I'm certain you will see the cost difference of purchasing a "2-pack" vs. an "8-pack" (or more). Please let me know what you find when replacing the rest of the batteries OR if you have any more questions. If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question. Thanks, ***** ***** .-(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Greg
Just confirming that I have now got another 4 pack and replaced all the batteries in all 5 of the phones ("Ansmann" 1000mAh AAA). Again doing the full charge / full discharge thing before going into daily use. This has solved my problem and I am able to have hour long conversations on each phone ! Thanks for your advice and guidance. Kind regards. Jim Ure
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
You're quite welcome Jim & Good to hear the system is working again. Please let me know if you have any more questions in the future. If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.Thanks, ***** ***** .-(im)