Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have problems making calls. My cordless phone is Model KX-TG6824EB.

I have problems making calls. My cordless phone is Model KX-TG6824EB. No problems receiving them. By trial and error Ive discovered that I can make succeesful calls out, ig I hold the BASE phone somewhere in a rectangle about 30cm immediately to the left of the base staion and up to 120 cm in height above it. Sometimes I can make a call with the phone elsewhere but never at a distance of more than 1 metre.
Category: Phone Systems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a Panasonic phone.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.To help you with this issue, may I ask:1) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system, and if more than one, do ALL handsets have this same issue?2) What is the AGE of this system and WHEN did this issue first begin (or was noticed)?3) If you have ANY other devices (phones, fax, alarm system, etc.) attached to this same phone line (not part of the MAIN system), and if so, are they working properly & in a reliable way?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1:a total of 4 phones. There are 3 downstairs and 1 up. The upstairs phone is the least used and the least problematic. The base staion phone is the most used and the most problematic. ive inserted brand new batteries in all the handsets. This is a house built in about 1830 with masonry internal walls.
2 The system is about 18 months old but the problem is moving from intermittent to nearly continuous( with the base station handset).
3 There is a correct British Telecom ADSL splitter about 4 feet from the base station. My computer and printer(wifi) which both work fine run off that.. I have tried removing the mains plugs in respect of computer and printer but this makes no discernible difference.I have ensured that when the handset is returned to its cradle the recharging is working. There is the inevitable jungle of plugs and wires on the floor below where the base staion sits on a desk. i have recently stuck the phone line on the wall behind the desk so that it runs horizontally about 3 ft above floor level before descending vertically to enter the phone and adsl socket.
I hope that helps you.Alastair Graham
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that detailed information. With mostly the handset that is normally in the MAIN base unit having this issue, this sounds like either that one handset is starting to have trouble OR there may be some "RF Interference" around the MAIN base unit. NOTE: There CAN be "localized areas" of interference, and sometimes MOVING the components to different locations can clear that up. So what I would recommend - as a TEST - is to MOVE the MAIN base unit to a DIFFERENT room OR a different location in the same room. The idea is to CHANGE or eliminate any interference between the MAIN base unit and the cordless handsets. Another recommendation is to MOVE (or "rotate") the handsets, so that the handsets that used to be further away are now closer to the MAIN base unit, and the one that is close (and not working as well) is now further away. That is also a TEST - to see if the handset that was close by the MAIN base starts to work better - when it is further away - and the one that was working well starts to become more intermittent. Also, if moving the MAIN base unit is an issue, you could try moving OTHER electronic devices (computers, printers, etc.) AWAY from the MAIN Base unit - as the WiFi from those devices could be part of any interference to the phone system. In that line of testing, you could also POWER DOWN ANY and ALL OTHER devices in the room with the MAIN base unit, and see if the phone now connects more reliably. I hope this all makes sense. What we are trying to do is FIND the cause or components involved with this issue - so we can take the appropriate steps to fix it.Summary: Move components around and/or turn other devices off, to see if the issue changes - or stays the same. Please let me know what you can try and the results - when you can. Thanks, ***** *****(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks. There are of problems with relocating the base station not leas tbecause Panasonic specifically call for it to be as close to the main house phone point as possible but also there are issues with extension leads for power and phone. However I'm now in the process of trial and error resiting of the base station within the room and initial results are hopeful. I'll let you know how it goes early next week. Many thanks thus far!
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
You're quite welcome. One more thing - you MAY want to "make notes" about the changes that are made. This can often help isolate any problem component later in the process. Please take your time and let me know what happens. Take Care, Greg A.(im)