Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.
59725966

I have a trio of BT Graphite 1500 cordless phones. All three

I have a trio of BT Graphite 1500 cordless phones. All three handsets have suddenly lost their display bar the shouting. The display is so fragmented, the message can hardly be seen. I did think about trying to search how to reset dech handset but it seems stfrange that all three have exactly the same fault. Is it a problem with the base unit perhaps?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out, Mark.

This symptom indicates a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This didn't do the trick I'm afraid Nathan. The screens are still fragmented on each handset - the top half is illegible while the bottom half is almost OK.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

A defective base is really the only logical cause of this, but have you by chance tried replacing the batteries in them?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This didn't do the trick I'm afraid Nathan. The screens are still fragmented on each handset - the top half is illegible while the bottom half is almost OK.Temporarily, I've used non-rechargeable batteries in the handsets. One of the handsets (#2) has restored itself to a normal screen, but the others haven't...
Have sent a couple of messages to JustAnswer now...but with no response...
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

I'm not sure what you mean by "couple of messages to justanswer"; if you are replying via text or email, it won't work, we can correspond only through this chat page.

If the standard batteries helped, even on one of them, that is a good sign. On that one that did improve, were you able to successfully test calling in/out on it?
If so, I'd proceed to replace batteries (with new rechargeable ones) on all.

If no change, then it is time to replace the base station, or more realistically the entire system. I can recommend some options for that if you'd like, and help with finding batteries if needed as well.

Thanks,

Nathan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Nathan...
I can remember the problems I had with Just Answer before now...and they seem to have repeated themselves...but that's another story!
I'll get some new rechargeables and try those in each of the handsets if you think that'll make a difference...
Will let you know the outcome...
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Since you had some success with one of them, I'd at least buy 1 battery (you can test it in each handset), and go from there if you want to minimize the investment, but the cost is relatively low overall.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got some new rechargeables Nathan...but, although one of the handsets looks as if it's come back display-wise, the other two still have little or nothing on the displays. Would you put this down to the main base unit or the handsets themselves...?
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

It could be both, actually. The handsets have their own menus and displays, but they connect with the base to access a shared phonebook, call log, etc.

If it happened to all simultaneously, I'd attribute it to a power surge that could have affected multiple components. Because it isn't really possible to know without buying new handsets to fit the same base, which is risky, I'd simply move on to a new system at this point, which will be more cost effective in the long run.