Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have two Panasonic KX-PRS 120E phones. One upstairs and

Customer Question

I have two Panasonic KX-PRS 120E phones. One upstairs and one down. Neither record messages and handsets say no messages. Callers report that answer system reports recording full. Please help
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

If you pick up the line, do you hear a few beeps or a fast/stutter tone prior to the dial tone?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It has suddenly gone dead (never happened before) Eco tx power low, it says??
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 days ago.

That can happen if you are too far away from the base station or the batteries need to be charged.

Please put them both on the charger for a bit, then try to test the line for me and let me know what you hear

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No, would just like to know why the answer has never worked
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 days ago.

Yes I am here, The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

I sent a response earlier:

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
OK understand. Battery signal shows full. Only used once today, although shows as charging
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 days ago.

Okay, please test the line for me when you have a chance, listening for a beep or fast tone prior to the dial tone

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I dont believe I have a Base Station, could this be the problem?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 days ago.

There is always a base station, that is the one that is plugged into the phone line.

If you didn't have that, you wouldn't be able to get a dial tone or call out.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Both are plugged into a phone line and have always been able to call out and get a dial tone
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 days ago.

Okay that part is fine then, I just need you to check the dial tone sound please

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Phone still dead and still says that it is charging although battery sign shows as full
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 days ago.

Okay this issue is not related to the message problem, this is something new.

It is possible one of the bases was unplugged or disconnected.

Lets fully reset the system:

1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
OK done that
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 days ago.

Okay can you get a dial tone now?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Just putting it all back together
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
OK done that still dead and ECO sign still up, says that it is charging
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Are you still there please?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
This is hopeless, calling it a day, goodnight
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 days ago.

My apologies for the delay. As mentioned before, the site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Are you able to press Talk and hear a dial tone?