Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Phone Engineer
32989067

Our Panasonic triple handset Digital Cordless Phone

Our Panasonic triple handset Digital Cordless Phone KX-TGC423E is not allowing some calls to come through. The caller hears it ring twice and then cut off. Please advise.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

The people that cannot call in, can the be called from the phones?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No problem there.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

thanks

Please remove the power to the base unit and the batteries from the handset

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power to the base unit, put the batteries in the handset and tell me if it then functions correctly.

Please let me know the results

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will try this but am currently waiting for an important call. Just hoping that this caller is able to get through to our landline. Will you still be available to help with this query later on today?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hopefully I will then have received this urgent call.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

yes that is ok, I will mark this question to remain open so If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I rang the expected caller who had tried to ring here three times. I've now unplugged the base unit from the main cordless phone and have removed the batteries from that handset. Should I remove them from the other two handsets as well?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

yes please, all phones

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Base unit reconnected and handset batteries replaced after a ten minute break. My husband rang this number from a local friend's line and was still unable to get through. It rang twice, clicked and then disconnected the call.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Who is your phone provider? And are any calls getting through at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
BT, but they charge a lot if it's not their equipment at fault. My husband has just rang this line successfully from another neighbour's house.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have family in Oxfordshire who have no problem getting through and one in Canada who rings here ok. We live in North Wales.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

ok, the phone does not block calls, so this is not it, it is possible that BT has the block in place

Can you call them and have them check if they have any numbers blocked on your account please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We will do that now.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
BT can find no fault. The local neighbour who can't access our line is with The Post Office. Our local Surgery can't access our line and neither can Walton Hospital, Liverpool. They are the ones who were trying to call us urgently today. A next door neighbour who is also with BT has no problem getting through.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Can people not on BT get through?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's a real mystery and a worrying situation.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Can people not on BT get through?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A friend in Liverpool is with Plusnet and is able to ring here.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

so anyone on BT cannot ring you right?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No! Its random! Can't find a pattern at all.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

ok, it is then down to two things, a fault on the line or with the main base unit.

Your next step is to try a new phone and see if you still get the issue with this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. It's not a line fault according to BT so it must be a faulty cordless phone.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Ok, try it with a different phone please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not possible today but will try this another time.