JamesI
JamesI, Customer Service
Experience:  With 10 years experience managing analouge and digital PBX, he is currently deploying a cloud VOIP system
75967336

I'm asking on behalf of my girlfriend. All was fine with her

I'm asking on behalf of my girlfriend. All was fine with her BT8500 until about 4 days ago when "line cord erropr, please check" suddenyly appeared. I've just been arouind to hers, unplugged all of the phones and removed batteries. Then after about 10 mins reconnected the base station and put batteries back in hand set but same message and phone u/s.
Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: BT8500
Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Please see above type
Assistant: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, my name is James.

Does your girlfriend have just one phone which plugs into the socket (BT8500 - with others which wireless connect to that) or are there other phones which plug into the phone socket?

If you call her landline number does it ring out or do you get a engaged tone?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi James,
Before moving forward, are there additional charges per answer or does my initial £18 cover this request in total?

The charge covers the question posed and as many conversations back and forth until you feel you have the answer you need. If we went off topic and you wanted to know how to program an answerphone as well for example we would then ask you to raise a new question for that.

Should you wish to have a phone call to discuss the issue, that would incur an additional charge.

Look forward to hearing from you.

James

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks James. What we have established is that there is no dial tone whatever phone is plugged into the socket, so I think it may be one for the provider to sort out as it’s clearly not an issue with the phone itself based on this finding. Many thanks.

Who is the provider, as you may be able to do a free line test.

Secondly have you checked using a different phone, I ask as the most common issue is the line cord between the phone and socket?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I brought a wired handset from home which I tested before hand. The provider is talk talk.

It does sound like its a carrier fault, you should be able to message talk talk via their online chat and ask them to run a exchange side test.

This will then come back to advise if they believe its a local wiring fault or something in the street, at which point they can then get Openreach out to resolve.

Do let me know if you need anything further.