Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello, I have a problem. Basically I woke up one morning after

Customer Question

Hello, I have a problem. Basically I woke up one morning after a night out of heavy drinking for my friends birthday with one side of my face looking aged. Basically it hadnt drooped like bells palsy but its sagged and it doesnt look the same as before. I visited the neurologist and she said my face is symmetrical but it has changed!! the side looks very old like it has aged. Its such a minor change but its made me so depressed that my confidence has gone away and i cannot concentrate at university. The small things that made my face pretty has gone away and I want it back. Is there anything I can do to make my face go back to normal? Furthermore, after the night out i have developed a nerve problem like everytime i touch the areas that have drooped i can feel nerve pain in my gums but my neurologist said that the nerve i can feel is the sensation nerve and it wouldnt affect the muscles of the face. Please is there any procedure to make it go back to normal? I cant stop crying.
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sorry for the delay but your question was not picked up since it was in the Plastic Surgery category. I just now got it and I certainly can help you with this but could you post a photo of your face on this page?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thats fine, yes I can attach images of where it has drooped. It is very very very tiny but it changed over night which is why it is affecting me alot because I know thats not normal. The eye with eye make up is before and the other eye is what it looks like now. I know its so tiny you cant even notice it but there is a difference! and it makes me upset because i know it shouldnt be like that

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. Would it be possible for you to post a single full-face photo since I'm having a bit of a problem seeing exactly what you say is this "sagging?"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its the right side, all the areas in which i touch i can feel nerve pain and those are also the areas which have sagged a little. i dont think you will be able to see properly. however is it possible for it to droop slightly in all the areas i feel a nerve tingling?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Can you tell me what you mean by nerve pain and how long ago did this start? And what exactly did the neurologist have to say about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This started after a weekend of birthdays where i consumed alot of alcohol and the next morning i woke up with tightness along my nose and then all of a sudden developed nerve pain. Like when i touch certain areas of the right side of my face i can feel a tingling in my gum and also all of my teeth constantly hurt. It has been hurting 24/7 for 4 months now and also the areas which i touch where i can feel my nerve tingling i feel like i has sagged a bit. Is this because of the pain? what is the cause of this? I had an MRI done it came back normal and blood tests came back normal. Its ruining my life. Can this be caused by alcohol or i keep thinking someone spiked my drink?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK We can continue after this but I think the problem is trigeminal neuralgia--inflammation of that cranial nerve. It can be triggered by alcohol but I don't think your drink was spiked. A course of the medication Tegretol is what I would give you were I your doctor since that will very often resolve the inflammation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So this has been caused by alcohol? will it go away?? is the saggy type feeling caused by the inflammation?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It may have been triggered by alcohol but many people with the problem are nondrinkers. The saggy feeling is part of trigeminal neuralgia. In general it does resolve on its own but since it has been going on for so long with you I think you need the Tegretol to get rid of the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been taking amitryptiline for 4 months so should i take tegretol instead?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Tegretol is much more effective so I would suggest you ask your doctor for it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will this definetely go away

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes with the Tegretol it should completely go away within a month
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its not typical trigmenial neuralgia my doctor called it trigmenial sensory neuropathy because it is constant. will it still go away with tegretol because i have read many stories online with people who have had it for years.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The terms are really interchangeable. I[m confident it will resolve with the Tegretol because that's been the case with several of my own patients with exactly the same problem. Hopefully your doctor will prescribe it so give it a try and let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. One more question will the constant nerve pain in the teeh also go away along with the saggyness ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The Tegretol should take care of all of that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

why doesnt the amitryptiline cure the pain?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Many time it will be effective with nerve pain but not with trigeminal neuralgia pain. I have to be off for a while so definitely let me know how it goes and again remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to annoy you, have any of your patients who have the same pain as me definetely been cured of the pain by taking tegretol?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--I've actually had three that were nearly identical to you where the Tegretol was almost like a miracle cure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did it completely go away? Or do they still continue taking it ? If it has gone can i stop taking tegretol? sorry for so many questions lol

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It completely went away and never came back after they had the course of the Tegretol. No problem with the questions but I think we've covered this as much as I can right now so please consider rating my service to you for now and we can pick up later
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what can cause the trigmenial nerve to become inflamed?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Most times there is no specific reason although sometimes it's thought to be a viral infection. I really have to go now so please can we close with a rating?