Dr. Herb Goldberg
Dr. Herb Goldberg, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Experience:  35 years experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Certified by the American Board
50734646

I am a 40 year old female, I have had 5 children 4 - c-sections.

Customer Question

Hi I am a 40 year old female, I have had 5 children 4 - c-sections. I had a hernia repair and a tummy tuck 16 months ago, I have so much swelling on my stomach, i look 9 months pregnant, if I lay down or sitting from long periods the swelling seems to move to my legs, I own & manage a dementia residential care home, so work in office most days & hands on care for the residents, after a few hours my stomach will be triple the size from waking up in the morning, & the rectus muscle on the right hand side is so painful to the point I have to take painkillers. I seen the surgeon that did the hernia repair in July 15, he sent me for a ct scan, The Ct scan showed a thickening on the rectus muscle, the dr said that there was no longer a seroma there, it had shown that I had a cyst on the right ovary & multiple fibroids, he said there was no more he could do other than recommend a physio, I went to see a physio just before Christmas who told me that there was no way they could do physio on me due to the swelling on my stomach, & was advised to get a second opinion, I have made an appointment to see GP for Feb 1st, Just wondered if you could give me any advice, I walk every night to keep up with my exercise as I can not do anything else, do you think I should continue to wear my compression support.
many thanks Mrs Aly Samuel
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. At 16 months after surgery, you should be well healed. If you are having that much abdominal swelling, you need to be seen and examined by a board certified general surgeon to make sure there is no intraabdominal problem. I am available if you have more questions.