Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

Hi there I wanted to clean my drain and I poured some Caustic

Customer Question

Hi there
I wanted to clean my drain and I poured some Caustic Soda on to my shower drain. Unfortunately I didn't follow the instruction to mix it with cold water first and then pour it down the drain. I poured it down the drain and left it. I forgot about it got into shower opened hot water and then realized that product is still on. I stopped the shower wanted to clear soda from top of the drain but then I noticed it's rock solid and it's blocking my drain now. How do I dissolve it and empty my drain now?
Many thanks for your help!
Sally
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Gina-Moderator replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Gina~Moderator
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.
Hi Sally
Be very careful with caustic soda rubber gloves and goggles. cover up as much as you can.
Scrape as much as you can from the top of the drain, the plastic plughole should be removable under this is a trap that lifts out, hopefully its all collected in there.
If its still un-removable and your waste pipe work is plastic mix a small amount of vinegar with some water and GENTLY pour a little of the solution over it TEST FIRST with a tiny dribble as this will cause a very voilent reaction if too strong.