Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

I have installed a salamander pump in our loft feeding a shower

Customer Question

I have installed a salamander pump in our loft feeding a shower in the ensuite and the hot water for a bath. I have used an Essex flange. The problem is that there is much less hot water in the bath than previously and am a bit puzzled.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.
Hi My name is Brian I hope I can clear this up for you. There are two statements when dealing with water. Flow and Pressure.
Water flow is what is required when filling a bath. Thats why you have 22mm pipes from a header tank and larger bore taps. Water Pressure is good for a shower as it only comes through small pin holes in the shower head and needs to be forced but you do not need the volume.
Your salamander pump is probably on 15mm pipes so you have reduced the flow approx a third which has then got to be made up by the pump forcing the water through faster. What salamander pump have you purchased if it is purely a shower pump then be aware that the warranty may not be valid when connected to a single flow system like a bath tap, as the use of only one impellor can cause the pump to fail. also make sure your water never exceeds 65 C because the pump could burn out. I am sure you have read all the instructions but Salamander are not very forgiving when they find a fault with the system and will not uphold the warranty.