Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

Every time I run a bath, shower , flush loo I hear a noise

Customer Question

Every time I run a bath, shower , flush loo I hear a noise which sounds like something under a lot of pressure and can last for up to 10/15 minutes.

Do you know what might be causing this and does it sound like a big problem

jim
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.

emianplumbing :

Hi Jim my name is Brian I think your problem is the ball cock in the tank, it can sound like the whole house is caving in sometimes, its called water hammer and the quickest way to repair it is to replace the ball valve.

emianplumbing :

Hope that helps

JACUSTOMER-jru0ee3q- :

Hi Brian

JACUSTOMER-jru0ee3q- :

Hi brian, thanks for that, is this a difficult thing to do? could I do it myself or do I need to get a plumber in to do it?how much does a new ball cock/valve cost and how much should I be looking to pay a plumber to do this for me if I cannot do it myself.

emianplumbing :

Hi Jim

emianplumbing :

A ballcock costs about £15.00 a plumber should be able to do it in 30 minutes, if your mains water turns off ok. You can do it without much of a problem. go into the loft lift the lid of the big tank you will see the ball valve go and buy one from B&Q or similar shop turn your mains water off and change it over its pretty basic stuff, just make sure you buy a half inch fibre tap connector washer aswell because they sometimes fall apart when you disconnect the pipe from the ball cock

JACUSTOMER-jru0ee3q- :

Thanks and will do

JACUSTOMER-jru0ee3q- :

regards

emianplumbing :

No Problems

emianplumbing :

Have a good evening