Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

i have a main supply toilet cistern. it has worked fine for

Customer Question

i have a main supply toilet cistern. it has worked fine for 6 years since install. in the last 4 weeks every time I flush, when the ball valve nears the filling level, it oscillates and bangs and vibrates right through most of the plumbing pipework, even the nearby hand basin cold water pipes are vibrating. I have removed, stripped down the complete water inlet valve (ball valve assembly) for inspection wear and tear, (3 times) and all parts are still as new and spotlessly clean. no sign of scale debri wear etc.. my plumbing is simple and basic for a bungalow. Have you any suggestions what could be suddenly causing this? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

emianplumbing :

Hi Mr Gilks, my name is Brian I am a uk plumber. your problem is called water hammer. you will need to replace either the Diaghragm in the ball valve. Or my reccomendation is to change the complete valve as that has more long lasting results. The Rubber in the valve stretches slightly causing the water to bounce and vibrate as the valve is shutting off. Best regards, brian

emianplumbing :

Hi hope you have fixed your problems, Best regards Brian