Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

I have purchased a triple valve concealed shower unit and i

Customer Question

I have purchased a triple valve concealed shower unit and i cannot work out how to install the shower head and the outlet for the hand held shower. The outlets have a locking nut and washer and this suggests that i have to have access behind the wall, i.e. behind the tiles that I have drilled a hole in in order to tighten the locking nut and make the pipe connection to the valve outlet. Am I missing something here? Please help!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.

Brian :

Hi my name is Brian, Is there any chance you could give us the make and model of the shower, so we can get a picture of the unit please. Normally the concealed units also have concealed pipework from the valves that then protrudes out of the wall on a tap connector. To connect the fixed head / flexible hose.

JACUSTOMER-dmxhh1kp- :

Here is a picture of the hand held sower outlet the wall mounted one for the shower head is the same.

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

Brian :

Ok thats great I understand now. The nut is if you have a stud wall. if you dont then the only support they have is from the concealed pipe work that you will need to clip firmly to the wall you have chased out. On most of the outlets the brass thread unscrews so that you can connect it up to the pipe, tile around it and just leave the thread protruding, so all you then do is screw the body of the mount onto the thread when your ready.

Brian :

Just thought I had better add they only look like they are plastic bodies so dont force that Brass thread. I have split some in the past.

JACUSTOMER-dmxhh1kp- :

The bodies are brass (chrome plated), my concern is that if i unscrew the body from the brass thread I don't get a water tight seal when i put the body back on. I just don't understand the nut on the brass thread, to me it suggests that if you had access behind the wall, i.e. the other side of the stud partition, that you'd be able to fix the body to the tile and tighten the nut. then you just need to do the pipework to the valve. Thanks, Russell

Brian :

Yes thats correct Russell, if you can get behind the stud wall thats brilliant, just tighten the nut down if you only have a plaster board wall then use a piece of plywood or similars to give it extra support just drill a hole in it and slide that over the thread as well.