Jerry
Jerry, Plumber
Experience:  Residential journeyman plumber, over 20 years experience.
34748161

Please could you advise what might be wrong. In a new heating

Customer Question

Please could you advise what might be wrong.
In a new heating system that has been installed area by area as a house refurb/improvement project progressed, some of the existing rads were utilised, along with some new.
A couple of the rads in the same room (one new, one existing), each with new TRVs, seem to be heating up more at the top than the bottom. Also, they are generally not kicking out half the heat I would have anticipated, probably because of this issue.
There is also a separate issue of when we put hot water on only, some of the downstairs rads start to warm up, though not fully.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 4 years ago.
The radiators will be down to balancing the system, if the rads are hot at the top and cold at the bottom when the stats are turned up then the rad is giving heat off faster than it is replenished
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So how does balancing affect when we put the hot water on only? What accounts for this?

The rads that heat up when the hot water is on is probably due to the way the circuits are piped up.
If the return from the cylinder is not the last tee before going back to the boiler then as the hot water coming back from the cylinder when it is heating can creep up the return of some of the radiators the wrong side of the tee and warm some rads up.
You will not be able to confirm this unless you follow the heat when you have hot water only on.

It made sense to me while typing but come back to me if you dont understand it