Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds qualified plumber
46681511

central heating

Customer Question

central heating
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

Andrew Smith :

What happens if you turn off your upstairs radiators?

Andrew Smith :

Do you get better heat downstairs?

Andrew Smith :

You may just need to balance your system.

Andrew Smith :

Try turning off your rads upstairs and then just open them 1/4 turn

JACUSTOMER-gfwppde4- :

tried that dont think thats the prob. Also eg in the mornings both CH and DHW on and all downstairs rads cold. I have to turn off DHW then they will heat up.....slowly.

JACUSTOMER-gfwppde4- :

ps last on last winter and all was ok

JACUSTOMER-gfwppde4- :

i am currently running a desludger through the system

JACUSTOMER-gfwppde4- :

also played around with the pump speed i believe its funning at its fastest

Andrew Smith :

ok, is there a valve on the outlet from the cylinder?

Andrew Smith :

It still sounds like a balancing problem and it would prefer to go through the cylinder as it is easier than going downstairs

Andrew Smith :

can you balance the heating with the hot water off and then programme the hot water to come on at different times - before the heating?

JACUSTOMER-gfwppde4- :

ps cant see a valve on the cylinder i understand that would prob solve the balencing between DHW and CH

Andrew Smith :

ok, time to try and balance everything.

Andrew Smith :

if you give every part of the system the same resistance then it will all run the same

Andrew Smith :

Try with the hot water turned off and the upstairs only open 1/4 turn, give it 5 mins then the one still cool open another 1/4 turn

Andrew Smith :

repeat until done

JACUSTOMER-gfwppde4- :

ok will try but is it poss that there is a blockage in the feed after the last upstairs rad that is working and hence no feed can get downstairs which is why they are all cold?

You will know for sure if you turn off the upstairs rads, and see if the downstairs ones heat. If they do then it is not a blockage more a circulation issue
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all balenced still poor heating. Have been steered towards boiler apparently its switching on/off all the time, replaced PCB still the same, next is heat exchanger which is expensive, whats ur thoughts?

Rather than balanced, to rule out a pipe blockage can you turn off the upstairs radiators and see if the heat travels downstairs?