Jerry
Jerry, Plumber
Experience:  Residential journeyman plumber, over 20 years experience.
34748161

Hi, i have a 2 story house with oil fired underfloor heating,

Customer Question

Hi, i have a 2 story house with oil fired underfloor heating, I run it as too separate loops upstairs or downstairs and it has been working fine, I have a multi fuel stove which I installed upstairs and tried to marry into the existing upstairs loop connecting before the mixing valve on the flow by replacing an elbow with a t. and the same on the return, I put a pressure relief valve of the flow, I used copper coming off the stove for first 3 or 4 feet and qualpex for the remainder,I filled the system and it seemed fine, however when I lit the fire the both the flow and return got boiling hot for first few meters, the pump is about 30 feet from stove and pipes are running along floor and up and over a door and down to connect to original loop, there was a bit of rumbling and gurgling and the plastic pipe exploded !!. the pump did sound like it was just pushing air, any advice where I went wrong.
Category: Plumbing