Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds qualified plumber
46681511

I HAVE A HEATSLAVE GREENSTAR 18/25 OIL FIRED BOILER WHICH IS

Customer Question

I HAVE A HEATSLAVE GREENSTAR 18/25 OIL FIRED BOILER WHICH IS LOCKEDOUT NOT FIRING AT ALL THE CONTROL BOX IS FLASHING X4 AND THE BACK OF THE MOTOR IS HOT.. I HAVE REMOVED AND REPLACED THE MOTOR WHICH IS TURNING FREELY AS IS THE PUMP ANY IDEAS
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Are you able to disconnect the flexible hose and run the oil into a bowl to ensure there is oil at the boiler?

Customer:

yes doing it now

Customer:

oil flowing free

Customer:

please use [email protected]

Customer:

oil flowing free

XXXXX XXXXX :

OK, put the hose back on and fire it up again, but take the 2mm tube off that feeds the burner and see if you can reset it a couple of times to see if you get oil through to there

Customer:

Will do i will post result tomorrow morning, thanks.

Customer:

Ok will post result in morning, cheers.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Ok, just come back when you have tried

Customer:

Ok

Let me know what you find in the morning
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Morning i removed the 2mm pipe and nothing i then replaced pipe and switched on boiler opening the test port aswell got fuel running and eventually boiler, i switched off after about 10mins tried to re light but back to lockout only restarts if i help it by releasing initial pressure from test port. Is it the pump?

It sounds like the pump, can you take out and clean the filter - you will need an allen key to remove it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Done that still needs that initial release of pressure to get the motor turning

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do the pumps fail on these more than the motors?

The pump may be sticking, it is driven from behind by the motor. It may be worth taking it off and seeing how tight it is when trying to turn it by hand