PlumbDr
PlumbDr, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing and Drainage Expert with 15 years+ business in the trade.
76535614

I have a dripping tap and want to descale or replace the ceramic

I have a dripping tap and want to descale or replace the ceramic seals.

The problem concerns the hot water tap. When I attempted to dismantle the tap I found that water had leaked into the body of the tap and the collar has become immovable presumably because of limescale ( I live in East Kent where the water is particularly hard).

I wonder if anyone can suggest a tip to release the collar?

Yorkie
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.

Brian :

Hi my name isXXXXX this has always been a problem and there are no tricks that I know of. If your taps are really worthwhile I would suggest you investigate this option. http://www.abdtools.eu/p/product/1012109047-Compact+TapSplitter/ Best regards Brian

Customer:

Hi Brian

Customer:

Hi Brian.

Customer:

Hi Brian, The tap splitter you suggested appears to deal with seized locknut but would fail to help with my seized tap collar. I guess you're telling me to replace the taps? Regards

Customer:

Yorkie

Brian :

Hi The ceramic discs on all the taps I have seen come complete and you just replace the body. example link here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/151102799214?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0 Sorry you feel I gave you a poor service I will opt out and allow others to help. Good Luck with your job

Expert:  PlumbDr replied 3 years ago.
Hello Sir, Unfortunately if your tap collar is seized and you cannot access the valve body - you will have no other option but to change the tap. If you force it there may be more cosmetic damage beyond repair. Regards Justin.
PlumbDr, Plumber
Experience: Plumbing and Drainage Expert with 15 years+ business in the trade.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Justin I've already caused some damage so I've decided to get new taps as you suggest. Much obliged, Yorkie