PlumbDr
PlumbDr, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing and Drainage Expert with 15 years+ business in the trade.
76535614

Hello, Im new to this and so dont quite know the elicit,

Hello, I'm new to this and so don't quite know the elicit, but my problem is I have a slow leak from a valve in the airing cupboard. the marking on it 'RWC 068' and on the plastic covering on the right (from which the leak is coming from) it has '3 bar' marked on it. any suggestions?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  PlumbDr replied 3 years ago.

PlumbDr :

Hi, The item you describe is a "pressure release valve" and it releases pressure in the hot water tank when reaching its set bar rate in your case "3bar" . This valve is required to prevent the tank / system erupting / bursting under extreme hot temperatures. If it is leaking then i would recommend contacting a local approved plumber to get a replacement and install. You can find an approved plumber in your local area by going to www.watersafe.org.uk. Hope this helps Regards Justin

Customer:

so I wouldn't be able to do it myself then if I could get the part?

PlumbDr :

To be fair its not always easy as abc to change - sometimes you have to drain the tank etc and the installation seal has to be 100% first time when you put the new one in otherwise you could have a big water leak! - and when that starts you can just turn it off at a tap. It would br far more cost effective to hire a local approved plumber in the long run ;)

Customer:

Ok thank you very much for your advice. I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet, pay a plumber and eat beans on toast for the rest of the month!

Customer:

cheers

PlumbDr :

I understand.... get a few estimates and compare prices. But like i said its more cost effective in the long run that having a battle with a tank full of water and a major water leak in your hands. Regards Justin