Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds qualified plumber
46681511

Hello how does a macerating toilet work what sort of stuff

Customer Question

Hello how does a macerating toilet work what sort of stuff can it handle being put into it.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Anything that goes down a toilet, water waste, solid waste but no baby wipes, toilet wipes, moist wipes. Be very careful if it says flushable as this does not mean it is dissolvable like toilet paper and will not break down.

Customer:

So what happens to stuff put down a macerating toilet .

XXXXX XXXXX :

It chops it very finely and pumps it through a small bore pipe - upto 7m upwards and then it can fall away to drain in any direction.

Customer:

the reason I ask is my young nephew and i had been swimming and i asked hip to put the swim trunks etc in the downstairs bathroom toilet to dry ,unfortunatly he dropped one pair of trunks like ones in pictur down pan and flushed before i could stop him ,what will happen to them ,will i need to call the plummer

Full Size Image

XXXXX XXXXX :

It will try and chop it up and it it cant then it will get tangled around the motor

XXXXX XXXXX :

You may be able to isolate the power and take the top off and pull it out yourself?

Customer:

ok will get the instruction manual hand have a look ,what state will the red trunks be in

XXXXX XXXXX :

they will be no good, chopped up as if in a waste disposal

Customer:

Will need to try doing it later need to be heading off .have switched off the power so it will not work and put sigh up saying out of order

Customer:

oh chopped into smallish bits ok thanks for your help .

Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience: City and Guilds qualified plumber