PlumbDr
PlumbDr, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing and Drainage Expert with 15 years+ business in the trade.
76535614

In our ladies toilet at work, there is a hole in the floor

In our ladies toilet at work, there is a hole in the floor were wires and cables go through. I believe normally a pipe is fixed in the hole to protect against flooding etc. This pipe is missing and last night we had a major flood as the water table rose and flooded the premises. We have pumped out as much water as possible but I think its too wet to make a perminate repair. Is there any way to plug this hole (bearing in mind we have the cables in there) in case we get more rain over the weekend?
A lady in distress!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.

Brian :

Hi you dont say how big the hole is but if you have a screwfix store nearby and you have the measurements they sell things like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-screwed-access-cap/72385?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=149672

Customer:

Sorry I though about adding the size then forgot - its about 3inches across

Customer:

Yes just viewed screww fix website and that looks look for a permanant solution, but I would know how to thread the wires/ cables through that - I assume an electrician would need to come and and feed through?

Expert:  PlumbDr replied 3 years ago.
Hi, if you need a temp fix to stop flooding - you need an air bag see http://www.horobin.co.uk/products.asp?categoryid=2 .You can also pick these up at most major building supplies such as Jewsons Etc. These rubber bags come in different sizes and you just insert and pump up with hand pump to make a water proof seal. In the long term I would suggest getting a local electrician to look at the access requirements with a water proof seal. Regards XXXXX XXXXX Plumbing and Drainage
PlumbDr, Plumber
Experience: Plumbing and Drainage Expert with 15 years+ business in the trade.