PlumbDr
PlumbDr, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing and Drainage Expert with 15 years+ business in the trade.
76535614

Installed Mira shower unit.Mira Miniluxe >thermostatic mixer,Showerhead

Installed Mira shower unit.Mira Miniluxe >thermostatic mixer,Showerhead and handset.Three levers on unit. Top - divertor , Middle flow control on/off , bottom temp control . Hot water supply from Albion Ultra steel cylinder. All installed new,
Plumber who installed the system is now unavailable.but said he would send his mate. That is two weeks ago.
Problem . When I open up the flow I get nothing but hot water. Very hot . Is there some adjustments I can do on the shower unit control or on he tank ?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  PlumbDr replied 3 years ago.

PlumbDr :

Hi , there should be some form of constrictor or regulator adjustment. The second option is to check the cold water supply to the unit has got full flow. for more details on the unit try this : http://www.showerspares.com/downloads/mira_miniluxe_er_1.1660.007.pdf

Customer:

will check on cold water supply tomorrow. Went on website.My model would be Mira Miniluxe ERD ( 1660.015) . I have the installation handbook with all the instructions and settings.

Customer:

Took out grub screw and face plate. Then released holding screw and pulled out contro9l unit. Both filters clean. Good supply on both outlets - but - but top connection is cold when firmly stipulated in install instructions it must be the top connection.Worst case scenario. To rectify that i have to remove tiles , plasterboard ,plywood and get to the back to change the pipeworks.

PlumbDr :

Hi, yes if the pipework is crossed or the wrong way round the mixer unit cannot mix thermostatic and you end up with constant cold or constant hot. I would of thought that your plumber would of checked this before install? - I think you have all the details to diagnose, just a case of a bit of time and process. Regards Justin

Customer:

Hi Justin. I'll start tomorrow . Need a bit of time to cool down. Another question. To shut off the hot water supply to the shower unit I have to switch off the main cold water supply.Doing that also stops the hot water flow from the Albion Ultrasteel cap. 150 litre pressurised tank. I thought i would benefit from having a on/off valve on the outflow pipe on top of the cylinder. If i cut the outflow copper pipe on top will things go " bang" ?

PlumbDr :

Hi, you should only place a shut of gate vale on the tank supply "cold water feed" (there should be one already installed?) - I would not recommend placing such valve on the outflow, as per you describe this could pressurize the tank and possibly burst it. Regards Justin.

Customer:

Hi Justin. Thanks. I will not go that way. Yes. there is a gate valve on the cold water feed . Hope there will be a happy ending to this .

Customer:

Do I end this chat now or do I get back to you when i have readusted the pipes?

PlumbDr : Hi - all you need to do is rate my service review when you are ready - this will end the chat. Regards Justin
PlumbDr, Plumber
Experience: Plumbing and Drainage Expert with 15 years+ business in the trade.