Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

Hello, A British Gas Plumber came to our house today to do

A British Gas Plumber came to our house today to do his annual service and Homecare Inspection. He went to one of our radiators upstairs and promptly came back downstairs with a bag full of black liquid/sludge. He has recommended a system power flush and filter. Could you tell me if this is needed and how much it should cost as he said £700. Note:-the sludge didn't seem that thick. I have aldo had another quote for £575.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.

Brian :

Do not pay this amount of money, they always recommend a power flush. If all your radiators are getting hot and you have no cold spots, you could just put in flushing fluid leave it a couple of weeks, Drain down the system then refill with water a few times and fill with water and inhibitor. Or get a couple more quotes for a power flush from independent plumbers. It is a good idea to put a magnaclean in the system to keep it clean. Its a magnet and collects all the metal particles that build up as the radiators rust away over the years. Power flushing charges vary due to the size of property how many radiators etc. I charge £350 inc. For up to a 3 bed house. to give you an idea for Norfolk